Getting into tv/film audio work

Default Getting into tv/film audio work

Hey guys,

Anyone here have any experience in doing audio work for tv or film, I've been thinking about moving towards a career in doing (not specifically) post-production work as I really want a career where I can combine my love of audio and film.

Just looking for any advice, anecdotes, or expectations I should have! Cheers!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

all i know is Chicago is a great place for jingles, or any advertising field that requires audio. they have a really big advertising industry. i have to do a project for school that requires taking a film clip with no audio and putting the sound track behind it. music, sound fx, footsteps, gunshots, etc. i'll let you know how it goes.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    i have to do a project for school that requires taking a film clip with no audio and putting the sound track behind it. music, sound fx, footsteps, gunshots, etc. i'll let you know how it goes.
    Wicked man; do let me know how it goes. I'm starting a music production degree in a fortnight so I'm sure I'll be doing similar projects in the coming years!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

yeah i do as well (start end of sept), but i have a basic knowledge of what my projects will be over the next 9 months. there's some sort of controller they use that interacts with software.. i wish i could remember what it was.

Just found this great interview with film sound mixer Noah Timan. Lot's of information on the profession and industry.

Noah Timan Interview

I donīt have much advices here mate... Just wanted to show you this vid that might work for inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TWKUjiUJA

Cheers!

Cool, thanks man. Interesting vid!

Tech Guru

good luck. its not an easy industry to get into for people with little to no experiencee... even my friends who've gone to school for audio engineering are having a hell of a time finding work in the engineering field. Most the jobs go to 50 year old guys with tons of experience, or young guys who have impressive portfolios that compete with the 50 year old golden ear dudes. Be prepared to work a regular day job for 10 years as you develop the experience required to land consistent work in this field.

Default Re: Getting into tv/film audio work

duerr speaks truth. as with any profession (especially djing), you're gonna put in your fair share of crap work until people deem you to have enough experience to handle their music. in a meeting with the director of SAE Atlanta he told me straight up that you're not gonna be making much money fresh out of the school. his first job was getting lunch for the engineers, but he was still sitting in on mix sessions with seasoned engineers an gaining highly valuable experience. you just have to be knowledgeable of this and be prepared to put in a lot of time. in the end it will pay off. "you get what you put in"

good luck to you brother.

Tech Guru

word, unless your a prodigal genius it's not like you can go to school and they'll teach you how to be a brian wilson. hahah. you either are or you aint, and if you aint its gonna take years and years, blood sweat and tears just to get to the point that your not working at Mcdonalds to pay for your happy meals at the end of the week lol.