Beatmatching house without sync after using Transition tracks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59

    Default Beatmatching house without sync after using Transition tracks

    I realize people have mixed opinions about using Transition tracks which are produced to take you from one tempo to another, but setting that debate aside, when I do use them to go from hip-hop to house, I am having trouble getting a nice mix from the house section of the transition track to a new house track. I am fine at beatmatching slower hip hop tempos without sync but when trying to match a 32 beat or 64 beat intro without sync, things always start to slip and the blend sounds messy. Alot of times the transition track says the new tempo is 128 or 130 but, I set my new track to that BPM and cue it up by ear and they never match perfectly so I have to play with the pitch and get it close as I can, but it almost always slips by the end of 32 or 64 bars. I havn't mastered anyway to push or pull the track into time with the controller. Does anyone have any advice in this area?

    This would be solved if Traktor allowed there to be multiple grid points for different tempos in one track.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    memorize your tunes, get used to riding your jog, fader, or pitch buttons, make mental markers where different sounds occur in tracks.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Not to be that guy, but learning to beatmatch by ear will fix all of this. Having said that, using software should make things easier for you. It would probably be easiest for you to find out what the BPM ends up at after the transition shifts to EDM music so you can set your new tracks BPM the same and press start on beat. If you have the orgininal of that track that could get you close.

    Your other option is do it in reverse. Set your beatgrids to whatever the house song is and then beatmatch your hip hop tracks if you find that easier. Also if you do it this way it's a little easier to scratch in or slam a new hip hop track in.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

  4. #4
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    You're actually asking how to match a house beat (from a "transition" track) to another house beat -- what haze said; use your ears. And get comfortable with your controller; part of the issue may be a resolution limitation on your pitch faders depending what you're using. I don't understand why you would need multiple grid points for different tempos if you're really just matching two tracks of the same tempo - you can grid the house section of your "transition" track rather than the hip hop part if that makes life easier. I've never really listened to a "transition" track but I assume it is just one tempo, some sort of breakdown, and then a section that is a totally different tempo? You can choose which section of the track to grid, and you can write down the tempo of the other section in the comments.

    But really all of these are shortcuts -- just learn to beatmatch using your ears, and mix without "transition" tracks -- there are plenty of actual tracks with tempo changes if that's your thing, and plenty of other tracks with spacy breakdowns that allow you to bring in a whole new tempo when you want it.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    You're actually asking how to match a house beat (from a "transition" track) to another house beat -- what haze said; use your ears. And get comfortable with your controller; part of the issue may be a resolution limitation on your pitch faders depending what you're using. I don't understand why you would need multiple grid points for different tempos if you're really just matching two tracks of the same tempo - you can grid the house section of your "transition" track rather than the hip hop part if that makes life easier. I've never really listened to a "transition" track but I assume it is just one tempo, some sort of breakdown, and then a section that is a totally different tempo? You can choose which section of the track to grid, and you can write down the tempo of the other section in the comments.

    But really all of these are shortcuts -- just learn to beatmatch using your ears, and mix without "transition" tracks -- there are plenty of actual tracks with tempo changes if that's your thing, and plenty of other tracks with spacy breakdowns that allow you to bring in a whole new tempo when you want it.
    you guys are missing the point of the OP.

    When he wants to go from a hip hop track (92 BPM) to a house track (126 BPM) he uses a pre-made transition track that starts at 92 BPM and somehow (break, effects, etc.) transitions to 126 BPM.

    I agree that you can either try to beatmatch it on the fly or even better get really good at practicing with Traktor effects etc. and you can make any BPM transition effectively.

    But he is asking if there is a way to SYNC up to the "tail" end of the transition track with Traktor.

    >

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I agree that you can either try to beatmatch it on the fly or even better get really good at practicing with Traktor effects etc. and you can make any BPM transition effectively.

    >
    So your saying practicing effects is better than learning to beat match?

    Delay -- Freeze and you can DJ all night
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor killerfanatics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Posts
    171

    Default

    What I do, and this is just my personal preference, is I beat grid the part im going to mix out of so I know what the actual bpm is. Once I have that, I put that bpm in the title of the song so I know what it is. I then just beat grid to the original bpm.

    ::SEE IMAGE BELOW::
    Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 3.07.25 PM.jpg

    That being said. I now know that if I'm my original song is 100 bpm, but I'm playing it at 102, then the end part, where I mis in, will be at 131 bpm rather than 129 bpm.

    Either way you still need to be able to pick up by ear where you need to nudge and pull back.
    Last edited by killerfanatics; 03-05-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    What the hell do people listen to? I listen to music that evokes emotion beyond "let's get hammered and bounce around in front of strobe lights".

  8. #8
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    you guys are missing the point of the OP.

    When he wants to go from a hip hop track (92 BPM) to a house track (126 BPM) he uses a pre-made transition track that starts at 92 BPM and somehow (break, effects, etc.) transitions to 126 BPM.

    I agree that you can either try to beatmatch it on the fly or even better get really good at practicing with Traktor effects etc. and you can make any BPM transition effectively.

    But he is asking if there is a way to SYNC up to the "tail" end of the transition track with Traktor.

    >
    That's kind of exactly what I responded to.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    So your saying practicing effects is better than learning to beat match?

    Delay -- Freeze and you can DJ all night
    You can't beatmatch all night long when you play open format and/or multiple genres.

    >

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    That's kind of exactly what I responded to.
    sorry. I must've read wrong

    I guess he could delete the auto grid and place his first grid marker at the first downbeat of the outro track.

    And I agree, he needs to practice beatmatching the outros by ear.

    The part that confuses me is when he says he can beatmatch the hip hop outros perfectly, but he's having trouble with the house beats.

    Maybe the length of the mixes?

    Practice mixing for 128 beats +

    Good luck.

    >

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •