The "club standard" CDJ. Lack of respect for controllerists. Why? - Page 30
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post

I came VERY close to convincing a friend of mine to get the RMP-3s (for MIDI control) and a Surface Pro, and go over to using Traktor, instead of a pair of 2000Nexuses tonight... a few more days and I reckon I'll have him convinced.
    If you do manage to convince him, he is obviously a complete idiot. That whole routine could easily be done on his pair of nexus' and a Reloop contour. So would only cost him an extra £100 or so, rather than loose a pile of money on his 2000's. Plus he would have an infinitely more flexible, reliable, and professional set-up.

I really hope you are unsuccessful.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Whatever you decide to use it should be your choice there is no right or wrong.Both cdj's and controllers have there advantages and disadvantages, but would certainly agree that some usernames appear across nearly every subject posted on here and they always have a negative viewpoint no matter what the question or problem I respect everyone has there own ideas but constantly being a twat to people will certainly gain you the MORON status you deserve. I have both controllers and cdj's and enjoy using both so feel that I have the right to comment as I have actually used them .
    Last edited by Bubbles82; 03-16-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Tbh the main draw is the size; in smaller booths it's a PITA to set up a laptop... with a Surface and a half decent stand you can mount it at the back of the mixer, basically like a super awesome CDJ's LCD screen showing you detailed waveforms etc. I fully intend to get one myself eventually to replace my MBP, just waiting for them to come down in price a bit.
    i just checked the prices of the surface pro seem to be £900+ you could get a macbook air 13 for that money!!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    i just checked the prices of the surface pro seem to be £900+ you could get a macbook air 13 for that money!!
    Love my 13" Air - best laptop I've had so far! And twice the capacity, battery life, and USB ports of the Surface.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

http://stoneyroads.com/francois-k-on...ust-ignore-it/

French DJ has his input on the matter. if you have the time to complain and back up your choice/preference on dj equipment, then you have time to read this article which makes a good argument and hopefully ends the dispute between the two. i simply respect both side of the coin. there are advantages/disadvantages but as djs, it shouldnt come down to what equipment you have. it matters what comes out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sicnarf033 View Post
    http://stoneyroads.com/francois-k-on...ust-ignore-it/

French DJ has his input on the matter. if you have the time to complain and back up your choice/preference on dj equipment, then you have time to read this article which makes a good argument and hopefully ends the dispute between the two. i simply respect both side of the coin. there are advantages/disadvantages but as djs, it shouldnt come down to what equipment you have. it matters what comes out of it.
    Exactly. I totally agree and I feel that this whole distraction being created across the DJ community on what makes a proper DJ based on what gear you should use, is in the end, just that, a distraction. Did DJs not learn that technology evolves when Vinyl was upstaged by CDJs? We are just repeating the same arguments except replace vinyl with CDJ and CDJ with laptop! This whole idea that a DJ is not a DJ because he or she uses x controller / laptop just makes it really hard for folk to get into the scene. Also the idea that laptops are cheating (not that anyone has mentioned this here on this thread) is incorrect. I state this because I see it being said so often across the net and I disagree. You can cheat with CDJs and be lazy on vinyl just as much as you can cheat with a laptop. The technology doesn't make the cheat, the lazy ass DJ makes the cheat.

Anyway, I totally understand why CDJs are industry standard and I absolutely respect those DJs that can rock out on them. Its just as cool to be in a club and witness a DJ kill it on CDJs, Vinyl or a laptop. Makes no odds to me. I also understand that a lot of resentment for controllers probably stems from DJs learning their craft on CDJs over many years and now realizing that laptops are now very capable of achieving similar results with more options in the long run as technology evolves even further. I know many DJs that use laptops and they use laptops because (like myself) have spent years producing music and suddenly needed a way to play live. We don't all necessarily want to learn to beatmatch, that is not where our skills lie. But we want to play live and laptops offer this solution. So we use our knowledge of production, and musicality plus if we can play instruments we carry that into our setups if possible (I play Guitar myself but still have not found a viable way to use it in a DJ set :-) I do however experiment with live drumming and synth work).

I personally use Ableton. A 4 deck emulated setup with every track looped to 4, 8, 16 or looped from start to end of the drop, depending on genre. I use a launchpad, LPD8 and a Nanokontrol 2. I am eventually going to get my hands on a 6 - 8 track mixer with USB capabilities so I can run more than the 4 decks/channels in ableton. Currently I remix and mashup songs and build sets appropriately. It is longer and more time consuming but I get to know my tracks. Plus I never use 1 bar quant, so boring and no room to mess up live. I am working on 18th just now and then 1/16th very soon once I nail the timing. To everyone that thinks using quant means when you hit a button it just goes in time. unfortunately not, it just doesn't work like that, if you hit the button on the wrong count you will get trainwrecking, like any traditional DJ will get from a bad beatmatch!

As I play guitar, am a professional sound engineer and now I am DJing. I use my skills that I have gained over the years as part of my controllerist setup to smash it in a club. Doesnt matter which way you slice it, you need a level of knowledge to put a set together and then perform it. I prefer a live performance feel and I enjoy the prep. Each to their own tho. As so rightly stated in the above quote, its not what you use but what comes out. I would add to that, learn to use your gear and experiment and above all do not let other DJs say you cant do it that way because of their own personal preferences. Clubs will tell you what they prefer but most will accept laptop DJs / Controllorists. Those clubs that don't will probably very soon.

Controllerism in all its awesomeness is here to stay. Its time to accept it. We should allow Vinyl, CDJs and laptops to all coexist. Not get caught up in what the other guy uses and just get on with it.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930