What does a usb audio interface do? is it necessary?
    Tech Wizard

Default What does a usb audio interface do? is it necessary?

Hi everyone,

I have been producing in Ableton for a few years now and I am looking to expand my studio.
    Right now I musing a macbook pro (2013), alesis studio monitors, an akai mpk mini 25 key keyboard, and a novation launchpad. Someone suggested that I get a usb audio interface. What does it do? I know its used to get audio into your computer, but does it do anything else? Im not too worried about vocals or guitar so would it be necessary?

Thanks in advanced

Tech Wizard

it can help reduce your latency and digital to analog conversion, since you are working only with your computer (In The Board ITB) you only need a simple one look around for one cheap: focusrite , native instruments 6, apogee one, etc...

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

In a nutshell: its a soundcard. Pretty much any external soundcard will sound a million times better than the built in one on the Macbook, less noise higher sample rates and possibly lower latency (which you'll need when you are playing a keyboard),

I know its used to get audio into your computer
    The Majority of cards do, however the Native instruments Audio2 for example only takes audio out of the computer at much better quality than the built in sound card of the macbook.

so would it be necessary?
    If you are serious in any way about your Audio quality of your productions - then yes!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    In a nutshell: its a soundcard. Pretty much any external soundcard will sound a million times better than the built in one on the Macbook, less noise higher sample rates and possibly lower latency (which you'll need when you are playing a keyboard),

If you are serious in any way about your Audio quality of your productions - then yes!
    So what would I plug into it? Both of my controllers are usb.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by kmc310 View Post
    So what would I plug into it? Both of my controllers are usb.
    Your studio monitors and/or headphones - nothing else.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Your studio monitors and/or headphones - nothing else.
    Oooh. Thanks, ive been super confused

whats better komplete audio 6 or traktor scratch audio 6? is there a difference between the two "actual" interface or is the software that comes with it just different?

seeing that i will be djing with a controller and also using ableton with studio monitors & macbook.
    Last edited by sicnarf033; 03-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sicnarf033 View Post
    whats better komplete audio 6 or traktor scratch audio 6? is there a difference between the two "actual" interface or is the software that comes with it just different?

seeing that i will be djing with a controller and also using ableton with studio monitors & macbook.
    From My head I really dont remeber the specifications, but market wise Komplete 6 is targeted at production and audio 6 at djing.

The biggest difference because of this are the number and type of ins and outs: RCA vs Balanced. Also The inputs, i remeber the complete one has a Mic input while the not.

But both serve the same purposse, just offer different features that you may or not need depending on how you work.

i will mainly be using it for djing (s4,studio monitor,laptop setup; cdj in future) but am also starting to use ableton for production.