Deck "Inertia" when Scratching in Traktor

Default Deck "Inertia" when Scratching in Traktor

DJTT Forum Members,

When scratching in Traktor Pro 2 on a Stanton SCS.3 controller (or even via a mouse for that matter), I notice that when I release my jog wheel, the deck takes several milliseconds to spin back up to "full" playing speed. Let's call this "inertia" for the sake of the discussion. Consequently, it also seems to make scratching quite difficult. (It's the same inertia that would allow you to do a large backspin.)

When using Mixxx, my decks have no backwards "inertia." When I let the record go, the track instantly keeps playing at full speed from where i am holding it. Is there anywhere to adjust this setting in Traktor? Without adjusting this, it seems that I have to "push" the vinyl forward to get it up to full playing speed when I release the jog wheel.

Is there any way around this?

Strange! i have the same problem, when playing vinyl.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

what the above poster is trying to say is that you're supposed to push the record/controller platter forward while you let go, instead of just letting it go. You obviously never touched real vinyl on a real turntable but it works in the same way

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    ...vinyl on a real turntable ... works in the same way
    Thanks all.

Is there anywhere to adjust the "curve" at which it speeds up? Obviously, the intent is to represent the physics of a piece of vinyl spinning back up on top of the felt overcoming its own inertia to remain stationary. It'd be nice if there were a way to adjust this. If even for the sake of controllerism.

Tech Mentor

I think it could be done by modifying the mapping of your controller, but you are much better off simply developing the habit of just pushing it forward while letting go. You'll be much more comfortable if you ever have to use CDJs or Turntables. I've even stopped noticing that I'm actually pushing the platter forward when I let it go and it doesn't cost me time and I don't think it would present any inconvenience while doing controllerism (well except for developing the habit) but this should really be part of your skillset imo.

Thanks all. You all have fantastic response time. I really appreciate it.

I'll just keep working on it!

Default New Developments...

Quote Originally Posted by Priest77777 View Post
    Thanks all. You all have fantastic response time. I really appreciate it.

I'll just keep working on it!

All,

I just upgraded to Traktor 2.6.1, from 2.0, and my decks are behaving as I wanted to now! They do have a slight bit of backward inertia (as I would expect) but it's not anything like it was. This does, however, make it roughly impossible to do a large backspin, but it IS POSSIBLE to change the behavior of the Traktor in this way.

I don't know what the modification was, since I backed up my TSI file prior to upgrading, and then re-imported it, so all of the TSI controller settings should be identical to my prior install of Traktor. The decks now operate significantly more like I believe that felt would behave since the amount of time before the waveform "catches" and moves forward again has been greatly reduced.

There is a setting / mapping / piece of code that is at the bottom of this behavior, and it's worth investigating further. If only I could see Traktor's source code!

Again, I haven't changed any settings since i just reimported the exported TSI. Anyone have any ideas as to what principle or setting is behind this?

The inertia behaviour is different in Flux mode (as you've described) than in normal mode; is it possible you've accidentally enabled Flux?

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    The inertia behaviour is different in Flux mode (as you've described) than in normal mode; is it possible you've accidentally enabled Flux?
    Nope, flux mode is off for certain. I just checked it. I don't currently have my controllers plugged in, since i'm traveling, but I'll plug them up and report back on the flux theory with controllers in.

There must be a root cause to this mystery. If we understand exactly how traktor is interpreting the signals, then it may give a clue to the differences. Thanks to all so far for your posts!

Will report back shortly on controllers vs. flux.