Beatmatching Tips
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Beatmatching Tips

I'm following ellaskins on youtube to try and learn how to beatmatch, but I'm having trouble isolating the two different tempos.

Say Track A is my current song and Track B is what I'm mixing in.

1. Cue B
    2. Get Track A tempo in my head
    3. Exaggerate Track B tempo and slowly bring it down

The problem I have now is that I'm getting confused when I try to determine if the tempo is too fast or too slow.

Are there any tips on how I can do this? Boost the bass EQ? Or is this just something that will take time?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I'm following ellaskins on youtube to try and learn how to beatmatch, but I'm having trouble isolating the two different tempos.

Say Track A is my current song and Track B is what I'm mixing in.

1. Cue B
    2. Get Track A tempo in my head
    3. Exaggerate Track B tempo and slowly bring it down

The problem I have now is that I'm getting confused when I try to determine if the tempo is too fast or too slow.

Are there any tips on how I can do this? Boost the bass EQ? Or is this just something that will take time?

Thanks!
    Hang in there buddy, you will get there, one day soon it will just click. Dont think too much about wether to speed up or slow down, just move pitch wheel in any direction and you will soon see if its the right direction, If it moves further away then just move back the other direction past your initial point and then some, it should then be closer......

Adjust pitch fader in that direction then repeat. I just taught a friend recently and he was coming unstuck until he found the balance between adjusting jog wheel and and pitch fader...my advice, use one hand and remember, adjust wheel adjust fder, adjust wheel adjust fader.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

also play with your headphone volume. more than often people have it way too loud, it might be another thing that confuse your ears
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

Hmm.. I wonder if one of the tutorials I followed is wrong.

He never touches the platter. Bad way to beat match?

I never touch the platter either, but it's not an issue.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

remember to set your pitch to +/_ 8 % (or +/_ 6% for CDJ's because they have to be cool). It gives you a finer pitch resolution, which makes it easier to lock into the master track.
    "For the CDJ's, pitch resolutions are 0.02 at 6%, 0.05 for 10%/16% and 0.5% for 100%"

Maybe one day we can truly have 0.01 resolution. Is that too much to ask?
    This software did it 6 years ago: "0.001% exact pitch control with range up to +-100%."
    http://www.deejaysystem.com/dj_audio_mixer.asp

>

>

It's all about rhythm... Body rhythm...

Forget anyone is in the room or house with you,
    Just move, know your head, tap your feet, get a sway in your knees to the track your playing on Track A,
    Get Track B cued up, play it, (monitor through headphones first) and give the platter a little push forward or pull back and let track B play, adjust pitch if you feel you need to, and once you feel it's best matched, slowly bring your 2nd track in, try having the low end EQ knob turned right down then slowly increase when it's mixing in.

That's just how I roll personally, DJs have there own styles etc.

But that's good for basics! Let me know if you need more help I'm more than willing to help you mate.

Good luck!

EDIT:

Take your time too, I spent hours and hours just trying to mix the same two records together, it'll take time.
    If you really start finding it hard mixing two tracks in, then if you would like I will record a say, 8 minuet kick drum loop, and send the mp3 file to you, so you can burn to two CDs and that's just a simple 4/4 beat to try and get a solid beat lock with!
    Last edited by Superfreak; 03-07-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Tech Mentor

Just a couple of things I find to be helpful when I practice manual beatmatching:

1. Use maths; work out roughly what each percentage on your fader is at a certain common BPM, e.g. remember that 1% on the fader is 1.3bpm for a 130bpm track.

2. have an educated guess at how far you need the fader before you set the track off, if you know the track you're bringing in is slower, add a little speed with the fader before you start.

3. have a nice hotcue saved and keep hammering it.

4. DANCE! - The best way to work it out is by dancing to it.

5. Use headphone mix if you've got it (not everything does unfortunately).

6. Don't get concerned with determining which track is faster; know in advance which track is likely to be faster (e.g. because you suspect you didn't slow down one of the tracks enough) and be prepared to slow it down using the platter until that double thud stops.

7. Don't panic! if you make it worse, just go back the other way!
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    I never touch the platter either, but it's not an issue.
    IMO its much better to use the platter, The method of just using the pitch fader stems from guys that used turntables. For me it makes more sense and is much easier method to use the platter. There even seems to be a divide between guys that do it and dont. I have seen a few guys play like it and for me it makes no sense as the seem to be forever adjusting it, riding the pitch and unless you have master tempo on then it can really sound bad. Granted there are guys that are comfortable doing it this I just think its much easier using the platter, that way you dont lose you mark on the pitch fader. When i first had lessons in beatmatching there was a sign on the wall that said "no platter use" I went home and taught myself using the platter.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

btw, all good tips here, my comments arnt meant to discourage you from learning the way demonstrated in the vid, more to inform that you might be more comfortable or get results quicker.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast