MR5MKII bass fault?

Default MR5MKII bass fault?

Recently just bought a pair of brand new mackie's MR5 MKII speakers. So I plugged one of them and played it loud for like 1 hour and then suddenly bass stoped playing and now I can hear only HIGH's frequencies (very silent) coming out of the upper part of the speaker. The second one seems to work properly, but another issue is that they get very hot in just 20minutes (if played out loud). Anyone experienced something similar? What can I do about it?

I already send few messages to the supplier and the warranty.

Thank's a lot!
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

I think your amplifier is broken... I've had the same problem with some old monitors. Just contact your dealer, hopefully it is under warranty.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Should be covered by warranty.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I have those monitors, they do tend to get pretty hot round the back when up loud for a while, that's pretty normal.

Have you tried swapping the inputs? then you'll know if its the amp
    Last edited by Conall; 03-07-2013 at 07:12 AM.

It must be the amplifier... Well today I will get XLR cables and will try them. This thing really made my day
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

Tech Mentor

You may have blown the bass driver/speaker, I'd always recommend running a speaker for a few hours at medium volume before driving it.

See what the manufacturers/suppliers say first tho as you'd have open the cabinet to test it.

If only the top end is working with any input then I doubt that changing the input type will work.

Good luck tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    You may have blown the bass driver/speaker, I'd always recommend running a speaker for a few hours at medium volume before driving it.

See what the manufacturers/suppliers say first tho as you'd have open the cabinet to test it.

If only the top end is working with any input then I doubt that changing the input type will work.

Good luck tho!
    He says one is working correctly, and the previous comments are suggesting it's the amp thats blown. If its just one channel on the amp thats shot then swapping the inputs to the monitors around should result in the problem shifting sides, proving that it's the amp rather than the monitor, if it doesn't then its the monitor....

I have tryed XLR connection and it did not worked if that is what you mean by switching inputs. I have contacted the seller about it and should get an answer today... hopefully.

Can you explain me more on changing inputs stuff please?

Cheers.

Update: The retailer just said that they will send me a new pair of speakers! No more worries about bad luck. Ofcourse they will collect the old ones aswell.
    Last edited by Kazkox; 03-08-2013 at 08:06 AM.

I just meant switching channels L>R and vice versa. Sorry should have been more specific.