Gear Halp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Halp

Tech Convert

Default Gear Halp

Hey Folks!

Thought I'd pop the forum cherry by getting some recommendations. If I'm stepping on toes or have posted in the wrong place, let me know.

Have recently been obsessed with DJing/Controllerism after having a crack at it during a house show with some borrowed gear (Numark Mixtrack Pro/Akai MPD26) and would really like to get into it.

I've been doing some research and have come up with a couple options, was wondering if I could some recommendations/suggestions on what moving forward would look like for someone like me who is literally just starting out with external controllers but am pretty familiar with Ableton and Traktor/Maschine from playing around with them quite frequently on borrowed equipment.

Since I'm just starting, I'm on a tight budget, around $500 or so for the whole get up, with the intention of upgrades as (hopefully) progression sets in.

Ideally, I'd like a modular set-up so I can swap as I learn more but am unsure of where to start, especially for that price point. I'd really like a midi pad + 2 decks + a mixer but that might not be possible. Here's a nooby list of things I've come up with so far:

Numark Mixtrack Pro (or Pro II if the price point is lowered once used ones get out there, this is a bit of a stretch as, poking around, I haven't found much in terms of compromise of a good all-in-one controller that isn't on the expensive side, but I suppose starting out, it might do fine)
    Midifighter or
    Akai MPD26/32 or
    Akai APC40 or 20 (although, I like the 20 better right now. The 40 is a midi so mapping could be done to do both sequencing and straight up finger drumming mode, but the 20 has the fast-select notemode that doesn't require the loading of a new set up at the expense of nobs which is kind of a bummer)

I'd eventually need to get an audio interface as well as the soundcard on my computer is shit and does not like Traktor at all. I have the option of working on a 13'' Macbook Pro, but it's tiny.

Thoughts? Apologize for the term-illiteracy.

The term "modular" just screams "Reloop Contour" to me... just sayin' :P

Tech Guru

If you're leaning towards the production side of things, you could always mix on a pad style controller through Ableton or even Traktor rather than getting a whole separate set of jog based decks.

An APC40 can cover quite a wide range of uses - along with an audio interface that will probably use up most of your budget.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Sweet, looks like the APC40 takes the cake and an audio interface. Will probably do more research into decks come next paycheck.

Tech Wizard

i say just grab the mixtrack and an audio 6 it doesnt have a built in sound card, just learn how to mix and if you like it grab the mixer and cdjs. dont go for an expensive midi controller if you think your going to be into it.

Quote Originally Posted by androoskie View Post
    i say just grab the mixtrack and an audio 6 it doesnt have a built in sound card, just learn how to mix and if you like it grab the mixer and cdjs. dont go for an expensive midi controller if you think your going to be into it.
    He's interested in controllerism... why would he want CDJs and a mixer?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    He's interested in controllerism... why would he want CDJs and a mixer?
    yeah he said djing/controllerism so i think a mixtrack would give him proper persective of what he really would want to spend money on. You can pick one up on craigslist for much cheaper than an APC 20, and if you dont like the controllerism style you wont be sol. resale value will be good too. Imo i think he will decide on the cdjs and mixer or give up anyway

but hey we can just attack each others arguments instead of give advice

Quote Originally Posted by androoskie View Post
    yeah he said djing/controllerism so i think a mixtrack would give him proper persective of what he really would want to spend money on. You can pick one up on craigslist for much cheaper than an APC 20, and if you dont like the controllerism style you wont be sol. resale value will be good too. Imo i think he will decide on the cdjs and mixer or give up anyway

but hey we can just attack each others arguments instead of give advice
    Yeah, but advising someone just starting out - with a TOTAL budget of $500 - to get an Audio 6, which costs over half his budget is just mental lol. Personally if you're gonna go down the Mixtrack route, go for the Pro with the built in audio. Or, go for a single Reloop Contour (with a 10-out audio interface built in) and add a second one (the CE, without the audio interface) later if you enjoy it

Tech Convert

This is a bit of a pinch.

The Contours are attractive at this point, especially adding the second one without the audio interface. Then, which mixer to get?

Ideally, I'd like to delve into both, am willing to stretch the budget a but or plan for add-ons later.

I like both avenues, and ideally would like to use a setup with both in the long run. Really don't see myself dropping it anytime soon, so familiarity with both is a plus.

THE CHOICES.

Tech Guru

I don't think CDJs or Contours are suitable for finger drumming, sequencing, or any other Ableton-like controllerism.

The APC is great as both a production tool and a live mixing controller and I'd say it's the best fit out of the options mentioned so far. You can map it to control everything in Traktor - there are more than enough buttons+knobs for both deck and mixer functions.
    Last edited by makar1; 03-08-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast