DMX Lighting Issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DMX Lighting Issue

Hey guys, any of you have experience with DMX lighting? I just bought a Chauvet Techno Strobe RGB and a Chauvet Obey4 DMX controller, and am having some issues with it.

The sliders on the controller aren't controlling the correct colors (i.e. "green" slider is controlling red, "blue is controlling green, etc.)

After doing a lot of research online (and not finding much), it appears to be because the Techno Strobe is a 5-channel light, and the Obey4 only has 4. Is that correct?

Is there anything I can do to make this work, or a cheaper option? All I'm wanting to do it control a couple Techno strobes so I can get them on auto, then strobe after the drop in a song, etc. Real expensive DMX controllers seem overkill for me...

If you're on about this one: http://www.chauvetlighting.co.uk/led...trobe-rgb.html

Then it's 6 Channel DMX. Have a look at the manual: http://www.chauvetlighting.co.uk/pro...UM_Rev3_WO.pdf

Page 4 details the DMX channels, you may just be able to get away with using channel 1. 0-24 is RGB mode 9guess it just cycles through preset colours) 025-224 are built in programs (and there may be one or a few which strobe) and then 225-255 is sound active mode.

If one of the presets is a strobe, you can either leave it in sound active mode, or one of the other presets when playing normally, and then switch it to one of the strobe presets when you need it. If you can find the right progrsm, i would probably suggest marking your controller with some tape or something at the appropriate places.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Actually, there is a way you can make this work.

The chauvet obey 4 has the ability to control up to 4 groups of fixtures. So if you select fixture 1 on the controller, it will control channels 1-4. Fixture 2 will controls channels 5-8. So you can use the fixture 1 button to control the RGB/preset programs/sound active and the separate red/green/blue channels using the faders, and then if you unselect fixture 1 and select fixture 2 you can control the strobing/program speed by using fader 1, and the dimming by using fader 2.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    Actually, there is a way you can make this work.

The chauvet obey 4 has the ability to control up to 4 groups of fixtures. So if you select fixture 1 on the controller, it will control channels 1-4. Fixture 2 will controls channels 5-8. So you can use the fixture 1 button to control the RGB/preset programs/sound active and the separate red/green/blue channels using the faders, and then if you unselect fixture 1 and select fixture 2 you can control the strobing/program speed by using fader 1, and the dimming by using fader 2.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, that's not a bad idea - I'll give that a shot. The light behaves erratically right now - I can get it to strobe with some luck and hitting the "strobe" button and moving the right sliders, but it's not consistent enough to use well at a gig. I'll see what the "Fixture 2" controls do, and also see if I can get it set on auto, with strobe "override" like you suggested, and report back.

If you need anymore help, feel free to pm me. I would definitely suggest getting the manual out and looking at the DMX chart in there to work out exactly what each fader will do though.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Tech Convert

Thanks robdquick. I ended up returning the technostrobe and getting a COLORstrip instead. It's 4 channels, so should play nicely with the Obey4. (Though I'm considering returning the Obey5 and getting an Obey10 just for future expand ability...)

I think the Obey 10 is cheaper than the Obey 4 anyway? If you've got any other DMX lights that arent just parcans or floods, the Obey 10 would definitely be a good choice instead of the Obey 4.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Tech Convert

It's only $10 more, so I went for it. The COLORstrip didn't work correctly with the Obey4 anyway (weird), so the Obey10 should do the trick! (I certainly hope, anyway!) Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it.

No Problem! Happy to help.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Download the app "Dip Switch" as well, it helps with identifying correct channels. Also, look into software controllers, I just switched to ADJ MyDMX 2.0, and I love it compared to physical controllers.
    http://soundcloud.com/kamcoolidge

VCI-400 EGE - Macbook Pro 13" - Traktor Pro 2 - Lots of Lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast