DN-X1600 to Kontrol Z2: Anyone ever go from 4 channels to 2?
    Tech Wizard

Default DN-X1600 to Kontrol Z2: Anyone ever go from 4 channels to 2?

As of late, I have had my Tech 1200s tuned up and they are in prime condition now and I am able to continue learning to mix on them (there was an issue and they were unusable for a few months). So now that I am rekindling the joys that I feel while mixing with vinyl, I am beginning to scratch, or learn to scratch, and want to get a skinnier mixer. I realized that I have used more than 2 channels maybe 5 times total since I bought the 1600 about a year ago. I am thinking of making the plunge into a Kontrol Z2 and I want to if anyone has ever gone from a 4 channel mixer to a 2 channel mixer.
    I know that the Z2 will simplify and aid in my workflow as my mapping and use of all of the extra jazz on the 1600 is a bit overwhelming. Any advice?

TL;DR- Thinking of trading my 1600 in for a Z2 and want advice/ experience tips about going from 4 to 2 channels on a mixer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MBP 8 GB Ram 512 GB SSD, DN-X1600, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, 2x Technics 1200 MkII

If you do, can I have first dibs on your 1600?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

I will be selling it with the Black Oddessey flight case and an optional GeekSquad warranty with 1.5 years left on it as a package.

Assuming that I get some helpful and positive advice in this thread
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MBP 8 GB Ram 512 GB SSD, DN-X1600, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, 2x Technics 1200 MkII

Well, I could never go back to just 2 channels but I use a remix deck with an F1 as a third deck and occasionally a forth. I also prefer external mixing to mixing internally with Traktor. (Am I actually talking you out of selling your 1600 to me?)
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

^ His opinion is biased.

Tech Wizard

bump, still looking for advice. Anyone think this thread belongs anywhere else?

Tech Guru

I went from a DJM 900 to a Kontrol Z2 for mobile and a DJM 909 w Audio 4 (had it built into the mixer) I can honestly say that Z2 satisfies my 2 deck and 4 deck needs. If I really need to use the remix decks I can just turn the deck c/d knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I went from a DJM 900 to a Kontrol Z2 for mobile and a DJM 909 w Audio 4 (had it built into the mixer) I can honestly say that Z2 satisfies my 2 deck and 4 deck needs. If I really need to use the remix decks I can just turn the deck c/d knobs.
    This basically says it.
    I went from a four deck controller to the z2 (granted it is a tad bit differt than a mixer) but i dont find the overall setup to be a problem. I run two track decks and 1 (to 2)remix decks depending on what I need in an overall mix (oneshots on one/ vocal clips and such on the other). The major thing for me personally is crafting remix decks and overall track preperation. I have one remix set as track specific (correct key, organized in a way that fits my needs), while the other is just a complimentary set that is key specific. I dont find the overall switch to be a problem at all, afterall, there are track/remix deck c and d volume knobs. But the 2+2 control, (if not prepared right) can be a complete pain to get used to if using 4 track decks.

Hope this rant helps you out a tad bit!

Random info that might cause this to make sence:

C=transition fx (whitenoise and such for transitions + drumloops/vocals to add to builds)
    A= track deck 1
    B= track deck 2 (Loop deck used for transfering between tracks.)
    D=track specific remix set one shots (for creating remixes on MOST drops) (midi fighter spectra)
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Wizard

Obligatory Final Bump for Friday. Probably going to pull the trigger on a Z2 either through ebay or the techtools store. SirReal, you still interested in the mixer and flight case before I put it up for Buy/Sell?

What are you looking to get for it? Also, could you PM me a pic of it (what kinda shape is it in) I'm currently considering the 1700 but would take the 1600 for the right price. We probably should continue this in the Buy/Sell section if you're serious about selling it.