Filter sweeps in Traktor impossible? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by papo View Post
    sounds like a great idea. i'll give that a try tomorrow to see how it sounds..

this is actually the first time I map something, other than storing the 1st cue point as a load marker. lol
    before i was actually turning two effects knob (reverb and filter) try to achieve an effect like this... this make it so much easier.

i need to try more mapping with effects.... thanks for all your help and input.
    No problem Finding combos that work well together is tricky but when you find one, you're suddenly like... OMG, it makes so much sense like that! Mapping is one of the most time consuming, and yet most rewarding parts of digital DJing

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    DJTT member

Just don't forget to turn it off at the end! I can't tell you how many times I've used (used to use) this effect only to leave it on and fuck up a transition. Then again that's probably why I should lay off the drink when I DJ. Honestly the reverb-echo out is such a staple effect that I can't understand WHY Traktor doesn't have a simple way of getting this same effect. My DN X1600 has an effect called "echoreverb" which creates a similar sweep + it's post fader which is awesome.

Honestly if traktor simply implemented a more intuitive FX panel (the macro fx have been such an utter disappointment), useable vue meters (I actually spent an entire day mapping my DN X vue meters only to find out how absolutely useless this was), and more HID compliant controllers (so that I could have useable, scratchable jogs without spending 2000-2500 for a set of glorified jog wheels), I'd be so on board with ditching my mixer and turntables and going for a full-on midi setup. I don't LIKE carrying turntables around, I don't like having to clean a needle every 5 seconds, and I don't like when my needles break, but I can't afford CDJ 2k's and I could afford a pio900 if I wanted but I have better things to spend my money on. Unfortunately I'd rather lug my 1200's and Mixer around than deal with the nonsense that is Traktor's in-the-box mixing solution.

Pioneers workflow for FX makes way more sense --> Sound Color button --> Beat Color selector --> bpm tap (if necessary)-->timing select -->dry wet set/on off --->twist filter knob ---> voila!

Traktor is ---> Do I need 1 or 3 fx? How much control do I want? Ok I want lots of fx and lots of control...so 4 fx... 2 fx units...now if I don't have it mapped that's 6 knobs, 2 dry wet, if I am mixing externally I need to find a f@#k!ng button to echo freeze to get a simulated post fader effect...which means effectively my 4th effect is relegated to doing something my mixer already does in a more superior fashion...Ok so now I've set the parameter of the first three fx that are chained...now how much dry wet is too much? Will it sound good in combination with lots of wetness on the echo effect? Will it increase the volume of my track too much? Maybe...Ok well fuck it, I've got 10 seconds left in this track/this track has been looping "throw your hands up" for the past 2 minutes and I'm pretty sure the crowd is finally starting to catch on...Well here goes noth...oh shit...this sounds terrible...Ok bad transition...not doing that again...where'd my crowd go?

Unless you're spinning really slow/repetitive music or doing extremely long transitions, traktors fx are just a hinderance. I mean yeah, I wish I was Richie Hawtin, but I'm not and I think the Plastic Man is happy that I don't try. I simply don't have time to get all scientific on the decks and solve a system of equations to find a closed form solution how the effects algorithm is going to modify my track in such a way given an infinite combination of settings and the frequency spectrum of the current mix.

I apologize for the rant but honestly - c'mon NI. Give us regular folk something we can use without spending more time learning FX than learning our tracks. Macro fx were a valiant effort indeed, but they still fall short of delivering easy to use quality fx that rival the A&H or Pioneer.

Traktor has post fader effects now, so why do you need to use echo freeze to "simulate" post fader effects?

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Traktor has post fader effects now, so why do you need to use echo freeze to "simulate" post fader effects?
    Because I mix externally due to the useless vue meters and poor gain staging in traktor. I like having visual feedback that's useful, not just looks pretty.

I thank the heavens every day for freeze delay.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I thank the heavens every day for freeze delay.
    I've been hearing a lot about freeze delay, but I don't quite get how it would be used. How do you use it exactly?

Tech Guru

Turn on Delay as a Single mode effect in Traktor. Press FRZ. Listen to the results.

Tweak the 3 setting dials and repeat.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Traktor is ---> Do I need 1 or 3 fx? How much control do I want? Ok I want lots of fx and lots of control...so 4 fx... 2 fx units...now if I don't have it mapped that's 6 knobs, 2 dry wet, if I am mixing externally I need to find a f@#k!ng button to echo freeze to get a simulated post fader effect...which means effectively my 4th effect is relegated to doing something my mixer already does in a more superior fashion...Ok so now I've set the parameter of the first three fx that are chained...now how much dry wet is too much? Will it sound good in combination with lots of wetness on the echo effect? Will it increase the volume of my track too much? Maybe...Ok well fuck it, I've got 10 seconds left in this track/this track has been looping "throw your hands up" for the past 2 minutes and I'm pretty sure the crowd is finally starting to catch on...Well here goes noth...oh shit...this sounds terrible...Ok bad transition...not doing that again...where'd my crowd go?
    I agree but I think that's the point of Traktor's method; it's a totally different workflow. You figure this shit out at home before your gig and then spend your time mapping so that one knob does everything you need in a predictable manner. The Armyofone video is a perfect example of how to do that right -- you find an effects combo that works and then map it to the knob so that when you need it, it's as easy to get to as your pioneer filter. If you're figuring this shit out in the last minute of your track, it's too late. And btw if your mixer already has a better echo freeze than traktor, just use the one on your mixer! You're mixing externally so it shouldn't be a problem.

The Traktor method isn't for everyone, and the Pioneer method is a lot simpler for those who don't want to spend the time and energy mapping things (it's a huge pain, granted). But it's far more powerful than what you have on pioneer - a very limited set of effects that are pretty obvious to anyone who's played with the mixer before. Traktor allows endless creative combinations, but they require a lot more "homework".
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zack771 View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about freeze delay, but I don't quite get how it would be used. How do you use it exactly?
    Or map it to a button.

Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Delay
    Add in > FX Unit > Unit On / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 2 / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0
    Add in > FX Unit > DryWet / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 1 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.600
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 2 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.400
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Single
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Store preset / type-button / mode-Trigger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345