music source preference & opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default music source preference & opinions

hey guys, whats up.. im starting this post to talk about what your preferred music sources are, weather its samples or whole tracks. and also to give your opinion on other peoples sources or maybe get a new idea.

i was using any audio converter to conver youtube files to WAV for a while but now its not working out for me...

i also use sample packs every now and then although i often find them redundant and that i enjoy using my own vst's for production alot more... i have used beat port/sounds to sample and a few free downloads of samples from sites like dub spot or cosm

Tech Mentor

Eek, of all the places to source tracks, why YouTube?

This is kinda two different questions, but I'll have a go at answering the question of sourcing full songs.

The obvious choice is Beatport, but I prefer to not pay attention to any distributor suggestions or charts. I don't care what Beatport thinks is a killer "secret weapon" or what other people are buying... I just wanna find stuff I like!

A lot of times I will listen to tracks on YouTube, Soundcloud, stuff posted by friends on Facebook, etc. and cross-reference them in order to find them for purchase on sites like Beatport, DJDownload, etc.

Soundcloud's new continuous stream is pretty nice for finding cool tracks, and a lot of times you can find some exclusives and free edits this way.

Here's a list of 25 more ways to find good music online.

I would highly suggest staying away from "ripping" songs from sites like YouTube, but rather use YouTube as a resource for finding tracks. If you're looking for rare/hard-to-find tracks, check them out on YouTube but find them on Discogs.

Hope this helps!

so you convert 64kb youtube rips to wavs?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Personally I buy my tracks from iTunes. They're good enough quality for what I do (because I'm not playing EDC). I really don't like how expensive tracks are on Beatport. But the sample packs Beatport sells are cool.

A big secret weapon for me is Spotify Premium. I'm able to do a lot of track research by being able to listen to full tracks and even get basic set list guidelines for mixes before even purchasing the track. Not to mention being able to listen to a whole slew of music for my own personal enjoyment.

Tech Wizard

Why would you prefer a sample to a track?

DCONN - What is EDC?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DCONN View Post
    A big secret weapon for me is Spotify Premium. I'm able to do a lot of track research by being able to listen to full tracks and even get basic set list guidelines for mixes before even purchasing the track. Not to mention being able to listen to a whole slew of music for my own personal enjoyment.
    Definitely agree... Spotify Premium has single-handedly changed the way I listen and hunt for music. Especially since I can use it on my phone (and, therefore, my car).

Tech Wizard

well i use too, any audio converter samples the sound from the url or the specific video then converts it to a WAV file at 705kbps, so idk. but i guess like dconn said, im not playing at edc (electric daisy carnival)... but more importantly this is why i brought up the subject. im finding it very difficult to find a good source of music with out draining my bank account.

Tech Mentor

There is a thread about free music on Djtt forum.

stop stealing your music. buy it or get to know the artists and bloggers. for samples, hmu via pm

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSkunk View Post
    well i use too, any audio converter samples the sound from the url or the specific video then converts it to a WAV file at 705kbps, so idk. but i guess like dconn said, im not playing at edc (electric daisy carnival)... but more importantly this is why i brought up the subject. im finding it very difficult to find a good source of music with out draining my bank account.
    IMO... just a good way to enforce being more picky about your music.

Honestly, it astonishes me that people aren't willing to pay $.99 or $1.50 for a piece of music, when only a few years ago people would've been ecstatic for that opportunity.

I'm not trying to start a piracy debate here, I'm just saying that it seems like small potatoes. And anymore, I can't even be bothered with trying to rip music from other sources. It's worth a dollar for me to not have to screw with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast