Question about adding X1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snaregoesmeow

Default Question about adding X1

I'm currently working with a CDJ/DJM 350 setup. Occasionally, I use this in midi mode with Traktor. If I wanted to add an X1 to the mix, how would I go about doing that? Would I need an interface to use everything together? Could I somehow use the CDJ/mixer independently without being connected to my laptop, letting the X1 take care of Traktor?
    Last edited by snaregoesmeow; 03-11-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Tech Mentor

I'm a little confused on your questions, but I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by snaregoesmeow View Post
    I'm currently working with a CDJ/DJM 350 setup. Occasionally, I use this in midi mode with Traktor. If I wanted to add an X1 to the mix, how would I go about doing that?
    The X1 connects via USB port directly to your laptop. The presence of the CDJ is irrelevant, though you will need to be mindful if you will be using up all your USB ports. You would then need a decent USB hub. There's a blog post here on DJTT which discusses that in depth.

Would I need an interface to use everything together? Could I somehow use the CDJ/mixer independently without being connected to my laptop, letting the X1 take care of Traktor?
    Are you trying to play CDs in addition to Traktor + X1?

Sure, you could, but the problem is that you have a 2 channel mixer. You'd need 3 or 4 channels to do this effectively.

snaregoesmeow

Just want to be able to use my cdjs/mixer alone, but control effects in Traktor with the X1. I feel like the further this thread progresses, the stupider I feel.

Tech Mentor

Ooooh, I see.

Sure, you should be able to do that no problem. Just make sure you have enough USB ports. You can use multiple controllers at once (in your case, two CDJs in MIDI mode and an X1).

snaregoesmeow

So I WOULD need to use my setup in midi? Basically, I just only wanted the X1 connected to my laptop/Traktor.

Tech Mentor

Hm, okay, now I'm confused again. So are you wanting to play CD audio but use Traktor to apply effects to it?

snaregoesmeow

Exactly.

Tech Mentor

I'm not sure of an easy way to make that work... I think you would need to have another sound device involved here, so that you could run the signal chain from your CDJs, in to your laptop (and into Traktor's external input decks), then back out your laptop and to the mixer. Sort of like you might do with aux sends when adding an FX box to a traditional setup. And deal with whatever latency that ends up adding to your setup.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But, no matter what, doesn't seem like the most cost-effective or convenient way to add FX to your rig.

snaregoesmeow

Fuck it. I do just fine without the X1. Thanks man!

You dont need to set it to midi or anything. As long as when you use your cdjs your using Traktor Scratch, then the X1 will just plug in and away you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast