Getting ready for clubs using a controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Getting ready for clubs using a controller

Been mixing using my Mixtrack Pro for a while now and I really feel that I can master the Controller-DJ mixing. I have had several gigs but were I have brought my own gear so It hasn't been any problem, now I want to take it another step further and try to hit the clubs and bars, only problem is I am a bit worried about playing on other gear, CDJs, which I have barely tested and doesn't know anyone with that type of gear either. So my question is, how big is the difference? When mixing on my controller I try not to use the extra functions that I get, I still beatmatch manually and doesnt watch the screen at all other then when I select and browse through tracks. Is there anything else I need to have in mind to get ready? Bringing my own gear to a bar or club is very rare around my scene here.. Any advice?

Thanks!

If you want to hit "any" club and use their existing gear, you want to have a software & hardware who allow to use Timecode AND/OR HID as not every club might have the latest version of CDJ (or else CD player). For example Traktor VS Traktor Scratch.

Depending which CD player, features will be different. Assuming a CDJ800, you'll not have any button on those to access your Cue point or Track browser, or anything else on screen. If their mixer is not a "Scratch certified" one, you'll also need to have a scratch certified soundcard.

How different it will be... well, if you can beatmatch manually on a controller, you'll be able with almost everything else. The "touch"/reaction time will be different but you should get familiar with it really quick.

I would suggest you to grab/rent a pair somewhere to make your own decision.

Nothing bad to add a small controller to your setup (like Kontrol X1) for some browser/cue points/effects purpose.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

Getting a little practice on a CDJ setup is the best way to be prepared. If you're looking to use timecode CDs in a club (if they have outdated CDJs) you may want to practice cueing with the jog wheel rather than the cue button, as all timecode suffers from inaccuracy/lag when using the cue button to start a track from standstill.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    If you want to hit "any" club and use their existing gear, you want to have a software & hardware who allow to use Timecode AND/OR HID as not every club might have the latest version of CDJ (or else CD player). For example Traktor VS Traktor Scratch.

Depending which CD player, features will be different. Assuming a CDJ800, you'll not have any button on those to access your Cue point or Track browser, or anything else on screen. If their mixer is not a "Scratch certified" one, you'll also need to have a scratch certified soundcard.

How different it will be... well, if you can beatmatch manually on a controller, you'll be able with almost everything else. The "touch"/reaction time will be different but you should get familiar with it really quick.

I would suggest you to grab/rent a pair somewhere to make your own decision.

Nothing bad to add a small controller to your setup (like Kontrol X1) for some browser/cue points/effects purpose.
    This is what I did... bought a reloop contour CE for my setup for a cost of around £70, and it was definitely worth it; I will never be the kind of person who moves solely to the use of a controller, but I thought "What harm can it do"?... As has been said on many other threads on here, you can never be too proficient in the use of any of any medium of DJing, and I am defniitely know where t using this controller to its full potential, but like Steve says, for browsing, cue point, and effects, I find it really useful, plus the jog wheel is something else which I am getting better at using....
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Guru

I wouldn't have been able to go straight from my s2 to playing on CDJs in a club, personally. At least have an hour on some if you can to make sure you're ready and be shown the odd thing.

I used my pair of Contours last night for an hour set I did, along with the house DJM600. Set-up was pretty quick and easy, just had to push the CDJs out to the sides to fit the Contours either side of the mixer.

Only downside to my setup last night was that I was using the house mixer which was battered to fuck :-/ all the effects knobs had been ripped off, the centre detent on all the EQs was practically non-existent, and it had one of those nasty linefader master volume controls (I prefer knobs for master so you don't accidentally knock it mid-set).

Still, the Contours are DEFINITELY worth getting

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    it had one of those nasty linefader master volume controls (I prefer knobs for master so you don't accidentally knock it mid-set).
    Like the Reloop RMX-40 you mean?

If you want to use the Contour instead of using the CDJs you'll realistically need two, at which point you're pretty much back to using a controller again. I would recommend something like an X1 to cover functions that the CDJs don't, and keep the amount of gear you're bringing into the booth to a minimum.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Like the Reloop RMX-40 you mean?

If you want to use the Contour instead of using the CDJs you'll realistically need two, at which point you're pretty much back to using a controller again. I would recommend something like an X1 to cover functions that the CDJs don't, and keep the amount of gear you're bringing into the booth to a minimum.
    The RMX has both Master 1 is a linefader, Master 2 is a knob

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    The RMX has both Master 1 is a linefader, Master 2 is a knob
    The XLRs are Master 1 right? You'd only ever be using XLR outputs on a mixer, RCAs are only any use for recording.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The XLRs are Master 1 right? You'd only ever be using XLR outputs on a mixer, RCAs are only any use for recording.
    Yeah, although usually I go from Master 2's RCAs into a channel on the house mixer so I can have a master EQ Balanced vs Unbalanced is mostly an issue when there's significant lengths of cable run; going .5m to the house mixer isn't usually an issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast