How do you personally create a "musical journey" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

I've been trying to think of my set as the finished product of combined elements.. like how a song is constructed out with intro verse bridge, chorus kind of progression with each track being a new or part of a new element to create the 'set'.

So basically ill think what kind of track(s) would serve well as my intro then as I play these I think of where I want to go next, usually I'll pick up the energy a bit and use a track that pumps a bit harder as the start of the verse etc.

I find the best thing to do to get the 'journey' kind of feel is to not peak too early by playing banger after banger but to build up to those big tracks and to try to tie it in to a kind of theme.

Reading back on this it might sound like a bunch of shit but that's how I think about it in my head. My favourite DJ's are the guys that can do this reaally well.. I enjoy a fun pumping set like the next guy but I really appreciate the guys that create epic flowing sets.

It depends on the length of time I'm playing. An hour isn't really enough to take you on a journey but it's more than enough for me to show you the path. Also, uptempo and downtempo are very different in this regard.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

In regards to making a mix - Its always most difficult for me to settle on first two tracks as this sets the tone. Then I have an overall theme that im going for, not just a genre but more an idea theme, Maybe even a pacific location I might play this type of set. Atm im working on something I feel I would play at the "stadium" in jakarta.

Sometimes I have two tracks that bang on together but the lead out track just dosnt fit the theme in my mind, the two tracks by themselves together without the whole mix in mind could be awsome but gain I come back to the theme the idea of what im trying to best express (as best you can using other peoples tracks) and even yes.... the unicorn journey.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

oh ya....and no cheap tricks.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Mentor

I'm not sure about using the music itself to take people on a journey - I think you have to be one of long/progressive type mixers for that, but what I aim for is the relationships between songs to bring back memories:

+ Songs that sample one another
    + Songs that use similar elements (e.g. trumpet songs, songs with that retro house piano sound)
    + Songs that were out around the same time
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Wizard

I just make sure to slowly change the mood/vibe and energy level. I'm a roller coaster type so I'll go up in energy and/or mood and then back down. I'll usually peak it about 2/3rds to 3/4s of the way through the mix. Difficult to do properly in an hour.

Thanks for all the info guys! Ill be posting a new mix soon as well, would love some constructive criticism
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Wizard

In terms of the "journey" or "experience" I think everyone has their own personal take on it. I tend to have a relative concept in my mind before I start a set. Sort of like the energy or attitude I'm trying to convey by playing.

Based on this I'll make my track selection, with the focus being the coupling of one track to the next. I feel it's important there should be at least 1 link between tracks, in various forms: key, drive, rhythm, subject material (lyrics), energy, etc. Figuring out where these links are is what I do when practicing, so essentially I'll know ahead of time (during a set) what will work. For me it just comes down to "Does this make sense?" AND "Does this fit inside my concept for this set?", if I can answer yes to both, I'll go ahead with the mix. It's easiest for me to stick to these two questions so the mix can remain organic.

Technically it's boring, start and end set with song that sets the mood, play for as long as I'm allowed (or can be bothered to when practicing).

Tech Guru

I start with the squelching of their mothers uterus and screams as she violently pushes them out, then ridicule them and give them false hope for about 18-20 years, then hit them with harsh reality. 40 years in, things start to drop, heavier as the years roll by, and then I finish with the sound of them drawing their last breath.

How's that for psychedelic?

start with a song, pick another song in the same key and move around from there. it really just depends on how you're feeling. If you're not feeling it, it doesn't matter what songs you play or what key. Normally I just go for a general vibe. Its something thats hard to explain
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast