Bang!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bang!

Default Bang!

So I'm playing my usual Thursday night, and mid-way through my set, I hear an almighty BANG. Everything's still working, so I'm desperately trying to work out just exactly what it is that blew up on me... then I notice my mixer smells VERY strongly of burning.

And yet, everything's still going strong :-/ going to have to disassemble it when I get home, methinks.

What track were you playing? Maybe it was just too awesome for the mixer to handle.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Maybe just a static discharge that hit the audio circuitry? That would explain the bang. No idea about the burning smell though. Imaginary, perhaps?

Well, mystery solved... anyone wanna see the carnage inside? :P

Capacitors-1.jpg
    See that white thing? That USED to be a capacitor.

Capacitors-2.jpg
    It was attached to one side of the balanced output, I'm guessing there was an impedence imbalance into the venue's powered mixer (which was quite a piss-poor one tbh, one of those nasty Chinese generics) and it blew the cap.

Capacitors-3.jpg
    As you can see, I managed to locate the sheath of the capacitor; rattling around inside the bottom of the casing!

Moral of the story: use unbalanced outputs if you're plugging into junk equipment.

Tech Guru

haha damn son! what mixer is that?
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    haha damn son! what mixer is that?
    Reloop RMX-40; the caps are actually relatively good quality, was my fault for running it into substandard gear (Studiomaster Powerhouse 1000X)

BOOOOooooo, can you get the venue to kick down some dosh to help with the "fix"?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    BOOOOooooo, can you get the venue to kick down some dosh to help with the "fix"?
    That'd be one very nice venue if they did, they'd probably be better off putting the money towards better gear...

Tech Convert

At least you found the sheath, should be an easy fix

At least it kept working and the music didn't stop hope you get it sorted, this is a bit of a fail on the venues part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast