Upgrade Advice

Thread: Upgrade Advice

Tech Convert

Default Upgrade Advice

Hey guys, I'm in the process of upgrading all my DJ gear, but finding it difficult to settle on the best budget and quality path.

I currently have a Denon DNX-600 2 channel mixer with a NICE internal USB soundcard. I also have an Akai MPD26, an Akai LPD8, a Denon DNSC-2000, 2x Pioneer CDJ800mk2's, Traktor Pro 2 software running on a macbook pro.

Now here's the part of my plan I DO have figured out... I am going to sell my current mixer with internal soundcard to get a Xone:42 4 channel mixer. Then I have 4 channels, BUT then I'm out of a soundcard.

Without a soundcard, I can't run Traktor or any of my MIDI controllers. I can only use the 2x CDJ's I already have. I could sell some of my MIDI controllers and get a third CDJ, but one of my current CDJs tends to randomly restart and power cycles until I manually power it off and back on. This makes it completely unreliable for gigging or recording a mix.

Because it's an older model, it's probably pointless to repair, not to mention I have no idea which part needs repairing. This means my MIDI controller setup is the only 100% reliable setup I could use, but without a soundcard I can't use it. My buddy has a Native Instruments Audio 2 that he'd sell for cheap, but then I'm back to only 2 channels, and the Audio 2 doesn't compare to the internal DNX600 soundcard.

I suppose I could just use the one fully functional CDJ in combo with the 2 channel software to have a total of three channels, but then I still have all these midi controllers combined with 1 CDJ. Seems kinda difficult to lugg all that to a party or something.

What would you guys do?
    Any suggestions would be great, really in a pickle on this one.

Tech Guru

Sounds like the DNX-1600 would be a good upgrade for you, and as it's Traktor Certified you can use your CDJ 800s for timecode too.

There might be a loose connection inside the faulty CDJ so it's worth having a look inside in case it's something simple.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Sounds like the DNX-1600 would be a good upgrade for you, and as it's Traktor Certified you can use your CDJ 800s for timecode too.

There might be a loose connection inside the faulty CDJ so it's worth having a look inside in case it's something simple.
    Considering how I just bought one and LOVE it, I'd recommend getting a Zomo MC-1000 which will give you an 8 channel soundcard AND nice FX control

Tech Convert

Good call man, I had to replace the cue and play buttons in my other CDJ, so I've gotten accustomed to opening them up. Didn't think about that though, could be pretty simple, hopefully.

I'm moving away from controllers, and I'ven never been a fan of all in one controllers.
    I too was thinking about the DNX1600, but I really like the EQs on Pioneer and A&H mixers over Denon; they are just a little too loose, and I like smooth mixes and transitions, so the extra friction on the pioneer and heaths makes them more appealing to me.

Timecode is pretty pointless to me too; I already have MIDI controllers that control traktor better than CDJ800mk2s in Timecode.

I'm moving more into a club-oriented setup, with no laptop and just CDJs & mixer.

My ideal setup is to get a A&H Xone: 42 + 3 CDJs, but I can't afford that without selling my current mixer and if I sell it, I'm out of a soundcard and can't record mixes due to the faulty CDJ. Not to mention a third CDJ would be expensive regardless of which one, and I don't think I'd get another 800mk2 because they are just a bit outdated and it would be a lot easier to have thumb drive capability instead of only CDs. So that's a lot of extra money.

Then I think about how I use my current mixer, and I use it as an external soundcard on my desktop PC, which is amazing because I have two channels/two sources to switch between with ease and the quality is great for music listening. I could live without that though.

Then the only issue with the Xone:42 is that there are no effects and the CDJ 800s have no effects on them. I could live without, but I do like reverb and echoe effects, so I should perhaps get a Pioneer.

New suggestions?
    Thanks for the feedback, gonna take me a while to sort through my options here.

How difficult do you guys think it would be to mix on a A&H or Pioneer for the first time compared to the DNX1600? DNX1600 is definitely the best bang for the buck, but I want to be prepared for club gigs.
    Last edited by jbardy; 03-15-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Just to add, THIS is the Zomo; makes a good addition to a 12 inch mixer.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Just to add, THIS is the Zomo; makes a good addition to a 12 inch mixer.
    Yea man looks pretty sweet, I searched it online. That's great and all but like I said, I'm trying to move away from MIDI controllers to CDJs. I already have all the MIDI controllers I need if I keep at software.

Just trying to figure out the best path to take to get to my 3rd functional CDJs and a 4 channel mixer.

I'm starting to think my best option is to try and fix the faulty CDJ, buy a third one, and once I know i have three functional CDJs, I can sell my current mixer and get a 4 channel.

The DNX1600 has the most features for price, but I'm worried about playing a gig on Pioneer or A&H when I learn and practice on a Denon.
    Last edited by jbardy; 03-15-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jbardy View Post
    The DNX1600 has the most features for price, but I'm worried about playing a gig on Pioneer or A&H when I learn and practice on a Denon.
    Other than the FX section, the Denon and Pioneer 4 channel mixers are effectively identical to use. The biggest difference that might crop up is a 4-band EQ A+H mixer but they're not that common.

Since you also need a sound card the X1600 seems like the best option and it often gets compliments for its faders in reviews.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Other than the FX section, the Denon and Pioneer 4 channel mixers are effectively identical to use. The biggest difference that might crop up is a 4-band EQ A+H mixer but they're not that common.

Since you also need a sound card the X1600 seems like the best option and it often gets compliments for its faders in reviews.
    Yea man I think you're right... It would solve all my problems and is the most affordable. The only thing I'd be unfamiliar with on a Pioneer is the effects, which is the least important thing.

I could then run 2 decks on traktor and 2 decks on my CDJs if I wanted.

Think I'll do that.
    Thanks.