VCI400 EGE TP 2.6 state of play? also vs regular 400?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI400 EGE TP 2.6 state of play? also vs regular 400?

Seriously looking at a Vestax but searching threads not sure what the state of play with the EGE version and TP 2.6/2.61 is. I've seen some gripes about DJTT mapping support with TP version updates so thought I'd come to the source. What's the story now in 2013?

Also EGE version vs the standard issue? Is the EGE worth the extra $200 I'd have to pay here in Japan?

To put it all another way, would you get the EGE again or just the vanilla 400?

Thanks
    Last edited by niknok; 03-05-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Would get EGE again. Own one now. Love it. Have mine working flawlessly with Traktor Pro 2.6.1. Controlling all aspects of the software including Flux Mode, Jog Macro effects, fader effects, control over all four effects banks etc etc. This is all included in the DJTTs latest mapping. Have no issues with it. Updated standalone firmware with no issues. Plus I think it looks nicer then the regular 400. It has a solid build. Not too big to bring around and not too small, making it look more "professional" in my eyes. Flashflooder from the DJTT team is pretty much running the show with the 400ege now, with steady updates. Also easy to get in contact with to work out any issues. Should really be called the VCI400FFE FlashFlooder Edition. 10/10 would buy again.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

If I was in the market for a new all-in-one I'd get the 400ege in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing on the market that can touch it for use with Traktor. Love the VCI-100 I've used for 6 years now, and the bonuses DJTT add to the stock VCI in terms of firmware and mappings are well worth paying the premium.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

if only they could make an arcade button hack.....
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

I just picked one up at a price too good to pass up. Was looking into a 4 channel to replace my S2, really thought I wanted to do an S4, but am super glad I went with the VCI-400EGE.

XLR out is a huge plus, the build of the thing is rock solid, and the options when mapping with the "Slicer, grid, etc" will be huge when I get around to adjusting some of the things in the FlashFlooder edit mapping I'm running now.

Also, I just looked and it shows "$1099", but click bundle and you get the controller with the Mono bag (mine came with one still with tags on it) and it's $999. Sure you already noticed that, but figured I'd note if you didn't.

Tech Wizard

Many thanks for the input, think I'm coming round to the EGE now I've spoken with Vestax here in Japan and found that I can get local support and don't have to ship it to the US in case of repair etc...well not at my cost anyway.
    Had a good play with the S4 too in a shop, not sure if it was just a setup issue on the (vanilla) 400 but the jogwheels seemed veeeery sketchy ie taking a long time to respond to any kind of touch...but it was the store demo model so I'm putting it down to poor setup/store abuse. Any glaring jogwheel issues to speak of on 400/EGE? Not that I'm a scratch-beast or anything, but it really sucked.
    More than anything though, testing the S4 vs the 400 with the same headphones and same demo track in TP2, the 400 sound was night-and-day better. I'm an audio nerd but even that aside, after messing with the 400 then taking the 'fones over to the S4 and trying the same track it was the first thing I noticed, the 400 sounded gorgeous! You really notice these things when using filter, eq etc. That on its own is enough to push me toward the 400 and now a few folks have stepped up vouching for the EGE's non-flakiness etc I'm pretty much sold...and (not realy) sorry to say oddly enough they're slightly cheaper here than Stateside thanks to a couple years of mad-strong yen.

Most likely the sensitivity was accidentally turned down on the jogs you were using on the 400 floor model. There are two knobs on the front of the 400 that controls both jogs touch sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzyp View Post
    Most likely the sensitivity was accidentally turned down on the jogs you were using on the 400 floor model. There are two knobs on the front of the 400 that controls both jogs touch sensitivity.
    This. When I went to plug mine in and test it it was giving me fits with the jog wheels. Couldn't believe it was so simple as just turning a couple dials on the front and I completely missed it.

Tech Wizard

One last...kind of odd question, but as someone who uses more delays and things than glitchy beat skips etc, and not so many cue jumps etc, beyond the (admittedly awesome) looks, is the EGE and custom firmware really bringing me much over a vanilla 400 and some tweaked mappings? Are there any awesome regular 400 mappings I'd be missing out on by getting the EGE? I am tempted for sure but hoping to avoid missing out on functionality at the cost of looks.

The main thing you should look at is whether you want to use traktor or do you want to use other software. I think the EGE is pretty hard tied into traktor right now whereas the regular 400 can be mapped to anything. When it comes to delays I just use the effects section with the four knobs. Alot of the jog fx are beatslicer beatmasher gater filter type effects. There is a jog effect that incorporates Reverb and Delay. I find using the effects knobs allows me to manipulate delays better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast