Practical aspects of a 4 channel mixer for a mobile DJ?
    Tech Wizard

Default Practical aspects of a 4 channel mixer for a mobile DJ?

Hey DJTechtools,

As a beginner mobile DJ I was wondering what the practical aspects of upgraded from a Kontrol S2 to a 4 channel mixer such as the DJM 800 or Xone 42 compared to something like the DJM 250. At home I generally play a lot of UK Hardcore and house so the Colour FX on the DJM 800 are quite appealing to me. However I can't justify, possibly, upgrading to a DJM 800 + CDJ 350's or 850's if it's not worth it for mobile work.

'Preciate any help and input
    Cheers.
    TSP 2, 2x CDJ 850k, Kontrol Z2, HDJ 1500s

Tech Guru

4 channel mixer gives you 2 extra channels, and typically better FX than a 2 channel. There's not much point switching from Traktor to pure CDJs if you're a mobile DJ as you're just forcing yourself to bring around excessive gear.

Do you feel the S2 is limiting you in some way? As you have an X1 already you could easily switch from the S2 to an X1+mixer setup, possibly adding platter controllers if you need them.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

So basically all I would be getting is 2 'backup' channels as with mobile I never really use more than 2, 3 at max if I plug my iPod in as a backup, as well as better effects which tbh I don't really care about as I have access to Traktor's effects, which I never really use with mobile anyway.

My S2 isn't limiting me in any way that makes my want to urgently upgrade (not that I'd be able to afford an upgrade atm anyway ) but it's just been a question I've had in the back of my mind for a while, that if when I do upgrade what would be the advantages be vs cost/portablity.

Tech Guru

If you aren't interested in mixer FX and just need 2+1 channels the DJM 250 is a nice 2 channel mixer with 3 extra switchable AUX inputs.

You could pair a 2 channel mixer with the X1 but there wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the S2 other than build quality. Go for more interesting modular controllers (F1?) rather than CDJs if you're looking to expand as a mobile DJ.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

You should spend a bit more and get the DJM 850 its basically the 800 with a traktor soundcard so you can use traktor scratch.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Do you feel the S2 is limiting you in some way? As you have an X1 already you could easily switch from the S2 to an X1+mixer setup, possibly adding platter controllers if you need them.
    Just did a gig on a pair of cdj 900's and a DJM 850, with Traktor Scratch, and I must say I had a blast. However I did realise a few things that I have against my S2. The main one being size. I am a 6'5" guy and tbh my S2 is just a tad to small and cramped for my liking. I just liked the way the 900's and the 850 were set out not cramped. The other things are just things like build quality and XLR outs + dual mic inputs.

The only problem I see wiith buying CDJ's is the fact that I can't justify buying them if I'm only going to use them as glorified MIDI controllers for Traktor. I might as well just buy a bigger controller, like the DDJ SX or similar.

For mobile, two mics is useful.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJwindowsJedi View Post
    Just did a gig on a pair of cdj 900's and a DJM 850, with Traktor Scratch, and I must say I had a blast. However I did realise a few things that I have against my S2. The main one being size. I am a 6'5" guy and tbh my S2 is just a tad to small and cramped for my liking. I just liked the way the 900's and the 850 were set out not cramped. The other things are just things like build quality and XLR outs + dual mic inputs.

The only problem I see wiith buying CDJ's is the fact that I can't justify buying them if I'm only going to use them as glorified MIDI controllers for Traktor. I might as well just buy a bigger controller, like the DDJ SX or similar.
    The Numark 4TRAK has a nice spaced out layout and I hear the build quality is great. It's also one of the very few controllers with decent jog wheel performance in Traktor.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The Numark 4TRAK has a nice spaced out layout and I hear the build quality is great. It's also one of the very few controllers with decent jog wheel performance in Traktor.

This!

I have a 4Trak and it's an amazing piece of kit. The jog wheels are the closest you'll get in a controller to Pioneers in my opinion. It's basically the S4, with better build quality, jog wheels and the FX bar is brilliant.

At 8kg and it's size it's only classed as semi-portable but in my opinion it's easily transported.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    I have a 4Trak and it's an amazing piece of kit. The jog wheels are the closest you'll get in a controller to Pioneers in my opinion. It's basically the S4, with better build quality, jog wheels and the FX bar is brilliant.
    I'll definitely look in to it. The dual mic inputs look nice. As well as the layout and quality.