Thinking outside the box
    Tech Convert

Default Thinking outside the box

Posted this thread on another forum, wanted to get some feedback from you guys on here also and thought about this after reading many of the articles on this site.

My current state of where am I as of fan base, and people knowing who I am is this: People know who I am, They know I DJ, Some listen to my mixes (SOME), but I'm still not impacting my fans, followers like with that presence.. I feel if I created a website it wouldn't do much at all because it's the same situation: People would check out but just pass along.

Currently:
    I use social media (Twitter,Facebook,Instagram) to promote my mixes through (Mixcrate, Soundcloud)
    Promote my weekly online show (Average views on a good night are about: 15-25 people checking in and out, watching for a few minutes)
    Try staying consistent with mixes putting one or two up a month.
    Handed out a few CDs at school.

- I still feel I'm not making too much an impact. I DJ parties here and there (a sweet 16 was the last formal event I've done other than that family parties at my house) but lately I've had ZERO. What are some unique things you guys do to I guess 'brand' yourself? This is a common question I know, but I've broken it down because I feel I'm doing everything right and not getting anything out of it.

P.S. - Hopefully next year I'll be able to DJ school events. This year, a senior DJ has all events locked down and long story short, I wasn't able to get any of the events.

Tech Guru

I think Zedd hit it on the spot when he was writing some commentary, can't find the article though.

A good DJ will promote itself. It needs to catch people's attention. I'm a newb, but I'd imagine this is the reason why you haven't gotten a solid fan base yet. Still haven't really differentiated yourself from any other DJ.

I say that ^ because it seems like you're already known. You just need them to like you more than the others.

How old are you? How long have you been djing?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    How old are you? How long have you been djing?
    16. DJing about 4.5 years.

This is a problem a lot of guys face, you need to ask yourself: "why would anyone check out my mixes?"

Here is just a copy and paste of part of a post I put up on Facebook talking about this sort of thing. Hope it helps!

"Put time into the mixes you release and promote. I honestly feel that a lot of guys and gals spend more time promoting their mixes than they do making them. Everyone and their grandma is making mixes now a days; why should anyone listen to your mix if you’re playing the same songs as everyone else and lacking any creative skill in your mixes. When a band makes a tune, they don’t just spend 20 minutes in their room creating the song (atleast I hope not!) and they don’t go post a sub par effort on soundcloud. If you want a quality product spend at least a week deciding what songs your going to use, what techniques your going to use, etc. THINK: why would anyone listen to your mix? Is this the absolute best you make at the moment? If you can’t answer these questions effectively, then go back to the drawing board and plan out your mix a bit more."
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    This is a problem a lot of guys face, you need to ask yourself: "why would anyone check out my mixes?"

Here is just a copy and paste of part of a post I put up on Facebook talking about this sort of thing. Hope it helps!

"Put time into the mixes you release and promote. I honestly feel that a lot of guys and gals spend more time promoting their mixes than they do making them. Everyone and their grandma is making mixes now a days; why should anyone listen to your mix if you’re playing the same songs as everyone else and lacking any creative skill in your mixes. When a band makes a tune, they don’t just spend 20 minutes in their room creating the song (atleast I hope not!) and they don’t go post a sub par effort on soundcloud. If you want a quality product spend at least a week deciding what songs your going to use, what techniques your going to use, etc. THINK: why would anyone listen to your mix? Is this the absolute best you make at the moment? If you can’t answer these questions effectively, then go back to the drawing board and plan out your mix a bit more."
    Great advice. In today's day in age, where DJing is very accessible, it's more important than ever to be good at what you do, and to do something that stands out. Especially if your intent is to build a fanbase online.

I've been trying to think of ways to do this, myself. I want to really start putting as much effort into a mix that I would into one of my productions.