Is a "switching hub" required for 2x CDJ-2000nexus + 1x DJM-900nexus to sync?
    Tech Wizard

Default Is a "switching hub" required for 2x CDJ-2000nexus + 1x DJM-900nexus to sync?

Hey all, I just got my shipment in for:

2x CDJ-2000 Nexus
    1x DJM-900 Nexus

I've noticed that each of the Nexus' come with 1x LAN port in the back, as well as the DJM-900 Nexus, which additionally has only 1x LAN cable connection in the back.

I read in the manual that I may need to buy something called a "switching hub" since the DJM-900 Nexus mixer only has connectivity for 1x LAN cable.. Is this correct and is this necessary to buy to be able to SYNC both players with each other?

The diagram in the picture shows a LAN cable running from CDJ #1 to the switching hub, a 2nd LAN cable running from CDJ #2 to the switching hub, and then a 3rd LAN cable running from the switching hub into the DJM-900 Nexus.. Does this sound correct? I've never heard of a "switching hub" up til now and wanted to know if it is something necessary for me to purchase to get full connectivity/communication/SYNC between both CDJ-2000's. Please help shed some light on this for me! Thank you!

As far as I'm aware, the main reason for the LAN connectivity on the DJM900 is purely for instant BPM analysis (specifically for the on-mixer FX), so it's not actually NECESSARY, just a nice little addition. You could quite easily get away with just connecting the two CDJ2000s together with an Ethernet cable.

Tech Guru

You don't need a hub for Sync between the CDJs; only for quantized FX, "On Air" jog illumination, Fader Start, and Rekordbox previewing.

All you'd need for full connection is a simple Ethernet Switch - here's the one I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNFSPY
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the main reason for the LAN connectivity on the DJM900 is purely for instant BPM analysis (specifically for the on-mixer FX), so it's not actually NECESSARY, just a nice little addition. You could quite easily get away with just connecting the two CDJ2000s together with an Ethernet cable.
    I'm confused as to what you mean by the BPM analysis for the FX.. I'm not going to lie and say that I won't be using the MASTER SYNC function, because I absolutely will.. In my case, would it then make sense for me to get one of these switching hubs? Thanks for your help MDC!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You don't need a hub for Sync between the CDJs; only for quantized FX, "On Air" jog illumination, Fader Start, and Rekordbox previewing.

All you'd need for full connection is a simple Ethernet Switch - here's the one I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FNFSPY
    Oh, I think I see what you're saying.. Once you have it all connected to the Switching Hub, is there anything else you have to do in terms of "switching"? Or is it basically like once it's connected all together, you can basically forget about it? Thanks for the help!

Tech Guru

If you don't link the DJM through ethernet it has to guess the BPMs of the tracks playing itself, so FX quantizing will be inaccurate compared to when linked.

I've listed the other benefits of link above too.

Quote Originally Posted by lip5016 View Post
    Oh, I think I see what you're saying.. Once you have it all connected to the Switching Hub, is there anything else you have to do in terms of "switching"? Or is it basically like once it's connected all together, you can basically forget about it? Thanks for the help!
    Yes, once it's all plugged in there's nothing to setup and it should all work.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

The hub also allows for for the jog wheels to turn red when the fader is up.

Tech Guru

Yes, that's the On Air illumination.