Buying a new laptop that will persevere through Traktor's bulky software updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a new laptop that will persevere through Traktor's bulky software updates

I just bought a new 13.3-inch MacBook Pro (2.9GHz dual-core model). Specs are as follows:

Screen Size: 13.3 inches
    Max Screen Resolution: 1280x800 pixels
    Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    Hard Drive: 750 GB
    Graphics Coprocessor: Intel HD Graphics 4000

I've bought this to replace a Dell Studio 1555, which turned out to be a ongoing nightmare to use with Traktor throughout the three years I used it. (That's what I get for buying such a weak machine at the time.) And to top things off, a few software updates ago, Traktor Pro 2 became unusable due to a CPU load latency issue, even though the machine still falls within the TP2 system requirements.

I'm hoping this MacBook will serve as a solid Traktor-compatible machine and persevere through four or five years of bulky Traktor updates. I have 14 days to return the MacBook so should I choose. My main concern is resolution. This machine has about the same resolution as my old Dell Studio. The MacBook is not a Retina Display model. The Studio's res was adequate for TP1's interface, but TP2 is very cramped.

Should we expect NI to continue to require more and more display real estate for Traktor as the updates roll out, or might they begin to streamline their interface more to suit displays with less real estate to spare?

Also, given how processor-intensive Traktor is getting, how long would you estimate a 2.9 GHz Intel dual core i7 processor to be able to handle Traktor throughout all the updates and new versions? Three years? Four? Five? Does anyone think quad core is necessary for longevity, or will dual core get it done for a while?

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Tech Guru

Well you've bought the laptop already i guess they're moot points, (why didn't you ask before you bought it?)

Personally prefer 15"

4 or 5 years is a very long time in computer world, good luck with that

Buy a SSD and swap out the optical drive (OWC have good drive doublers), the latest Samsung SSD 840 Pro 240Gb is a good choice

I wrap my MBP in Bestskinsever underneath and on top only and have a Moshi palm protector installed, you won't wear out your laptop as quick

Buy a good quality DJ bag, quality power distribution board and USB hub for your controllers

Don't install a heap of crap you don't need

Disable wireless when you DJ

Thank you for the thoughts!

(why didn't you ask before you bought it?)
    I have 14 days to return the MacBook. I'm basically demoing it right now. So far so good, but my concerns are mostly with its potential for longevity with what's to come with Traktor.

Buy a SSD and swap out the optical drive
    I actually chose this model because I wanted HDD rather than SSD. For me, space is more valuable than hard drive speed. My current library already exceeds 240 GB. The benefits of SSD are basically that the machine boots up faster and loads files faster. Once the computer is up and the software is running, the SSD isn't going to make a ton of difference because the software process is loaded into memory. Also, it doesn't take a ton of time to load an MP3 or FLAC from an HDD to a Traktor deck. That's not so much of an issue for me.

Otherwise, good advice all around, and I appreciate it.

Tech Guru

You have pretty much the ideal laptop as far as audio performance is concerned. It should easily last 5+ years if you take good care of it.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by fathafiga View Post

I actually chose this model because I wanted HDD rather than SSD. For me, space is more valuable than hard drive speed. My current library already exceeds 240 GB. The benefits of SSD are basically that the machine boots up faster and loads files faster. Once the computer is up and the software is running, the SSD isn't going to make a ton of difference because the software process is loaded into memory. Also, it doesn't take a ton of time to load an MP3 or FLAC from an HDD to a Traktor deck. That's not so much of an issue for me.
    You'll appreciate the SSD a lot in a few years when 8gb of RAM starts to be insufficient.

I still run Traktor 2.6.1 on a 2009 Macbook Air with 2gb of RAM, before the SSD it could barely run 2.1.* now it's fine albeit in a stripped down sort of way (no remix decks etc)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    You'll appreciate the SSD a lot in a few years when 8gb of RAM starts to be insufficient.
    May as well wait a few years then, since SSDs are getting bigger, faster, and cheaper every few months.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    May as well wait a few years then, since SSDs are getting bigger, faster, and cheaper every few months.
    Can you uprgrade the hardrive on the new Macbook's after purchase? I thought they soldered stuff in now, especially the SSDs..

Be good news if you can, I'm about to buy a new mac and I'd also like to be able to upgrade a bit later when hard drives have come down in price and gone up in size...That said, Apple tend to use such proprietary plugs and adapters that it always ends up costing a fortune... (I paid $250ish 6 months ago for a 120gig SSD.. Purely because the Air had such a weird plug none of the larger and cheaper SSDs would fit)

Tech Guru

For the non-retina Macbook Pros it's quite simple to upgrade the HDD.

And for the Macbooks that aren't upgradeable (Air, Retina) there is no non-SSD option.

Tech Guru

Well at least you have the option, theres no way i could go back to not having a SSD in my computers.

Good luck!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    Well at least you have the option, theres no way i could go back to not having a SSD in my computers.

Good luck!
    Ditto, Cant and wont here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast