Ableton quieter than Traktor

Default Ableton quieter than Traktor

I've started to mix things up a little bit and try out ableton. It's an awesome program, but one thing i couldn't resolve. The volume. In ableton, it just seems a lot quieter. I opened up traktor and ableton at the same time and played the same track at full volume. To get the volume matched in ableton I had to max out the volume on the track and the master output as well as applying a compressor to the master out.

Any decent solutions for this. I could easily adjust it on my firebox, but I'd rather a different approach.

It's obviously a program thing, so maybe I could somehow route the audio from ableton in traktor? I don't know if that makes any sense since the source would be quiet.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by 2dfruit; 08-25-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Tech Mentor

Do you use your traktor with Limit turned on? Do you use auto gain?

As far as I know there is some level definition that gets recorded into Traktor Track ... just click on the track on the playlist with the right mouse buttin and choose edit ... on one of the fields you'll find the Gain setting.

Live just doen't touch your track's level .

Z

yeah, traktor was having it's way with my gain. The filthy thing...

Tech Guru

i love the auto gain feature in traktor. it wasnt until recently that i found out about it lol !

before i'd just manually adjust the gain since most tunes are never the same volume... the auto gain + limiter is a god send.

is it just me or does the audio from traktor sound a bit muffled compared to the audio out in ableton?

Tech Guru

^make sure the limiter isn't set to too loud (or turn it off if you dont want to use it), i had to adjust it back a bit because the default setting red-lines most the time in my experience. that could be yer problem.

if you turn off the limiter and auto gain youll get a clean output, but you'll have to do more editing in a sound editor afterwards.

that's the awesome thing about ableton. You just take a bit of time out with a mug of tea, adjust the gain on your tracks to get an even level then click save (on the track not the set). Then you're safe in the knowledge that all your tracks are level. The limiter on traktor is cool too.

Tech Mentor

IMHO Limiter and Autogain should absoluylt be left alone in a dark corner... most clubs/ PA already sound terrible, most current tracks are already Milti-Limited to the max ... so the more you add the worst it sounds.
    If you play a standard vinyl set it's preatty common to be constantly adjusting gain for each track. With degital medium this is less necessary, but Peak Level is not the best way to match each track's level... we really percieve loudnes by they're "average" (RMS)... but You can really have it matched by rms or you'll end up with lots of Cliping on many tracks (with the already use anyway ... hense the horrible sound of lots of tracks nowadays ).

PS - If you use the Key function (I don't aswell) u'll notice the sound a bit muffled ... the 1.2 update should address this

Z

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Ze_MigL View Post
    IMHO Limiter and Autogain should absoluylt be left alone in a dark corner... most clubs/ PA already sound terrible, most current tracks are already Milti-Limited to the max ... so the more you add the worst it sounds.
    Ive never heard anyone say this and i agree 100%.

Whether you know it or not there usually is a limiter or worse a compressor on the club system.
    Auto gain is ok, i use it occasionally but its no substitue for knowing your tracks and riding the gain knobs a little.
    As for the Limiter. id take a knife to it if i could.

Well said MigL

Tech Mentor

Yeah I know... but the prob is more the DJs than actually the instalation companys. I Have seen countless DJs (especially Suppa Star DJS) play with the Red Lights on like they were in deep space and needed Light!
    Red Means Danger... but not to these guys ... It's all channels red + the master maxed out way into de red LEDs... Obviously the Comps/ Limiters (actually lots of clubs/ events use Multi-Comps and Multi-Lim now to squeeze every litle bit of loudness out of the sound 'till a wisper sounds just as loud as a screeam) take out all the dynamics and definition of the club's PA

So indeed we are part of the problem

Z