"Super Turbo VCI- DJ Tech Tools Edition"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Super Turbo VCI- DJ Tech Tools Edition"

This is all just pure concept, but if DJ Tech Tools were granted permission by vestax to help design a custom VCI that was voted upon by the tech tools communit by us for us what features would you people want? to added or changed to the design? How would it look? What would it feature? How would it stand out over other designs on the market?

[Current list of ideas floating around]

Optional glow in the dark or black light sensitive paint
    Optional no mixer design
    Optional sound card
    Optional Bigger jog wheels
    Optional Longer pitch faders
    Optional attachable rack mount ears
    Optional direct drive motor
    Joystick w/deck toggle A, B, or Simultaneous or X/Y pad w/deck toggle A, B, or Simultaneous
    Non slip coating on jog wheels/Authentic vinyl feeling
    More buttons/pads
    Buttons/velocity sensitive pads
    Lights
    Four deck control (physically) - four of each transport control
    Custom overlays
    Balanced non-awkward layout.
    USB port

and of course the mandatory 3 kitchen sinks w/4 kitchen sinks optional
    Last edited by Chris Wright; 04-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.

yea i would like to actually have buttons like ean or something similar.

bigger job wheels and aslo a built in soundcard that is really decent.

Sound Card
    Lights
    Bigger Jog Wheels

Vci-300

Tech Mentor

oh and much longer pitch faders...

Tech Convert

Default My Dream Vci

GOOD THREAD!

For my dream VCI I would like the following:

Four deck control (physically) - ie four lots of each of the transport controls

NO MIXER CONTROLS - I always use an external mixer.

Better Buttons / LEDs - something with a better shape, feel and response.

Longer Pitch Faders - that had little buttons next to them to change the pitch range

A little peice of software with template that allowed you to print custom Overlays - so you know what that button is supposed to do!

A non slip coating on the jog wheels - so that your finger sticks to it.

More buttons to assign to controls - so I can have a bank of things I want.

Optional rack mount ears - so I can put my Dream VCI in a nice case!

PLEASE CAN I HAVE ONE?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DIGITAL-KNIGHT View Post
    GOOD THREAD!

A little peice of software with template that allowed you to print custom Overlays - so you know what that button is supposed to do!
    Not trying to Hijack but can't we pool together to make one of these ourselves? I know I would love a template for this. It could be a word, illustrator file or whatever.

One touch sensitive USABLE button in the effects section per knob and none none of this splitting it up into A B and master channel crap, at least 8 knobs, 8 buttons, 4 cross faders and two nice long firm faders (like the vci volume faders) per deck just for the effects section alone.

1 xy pad and 1 joystick per deck.

A bigarse drum trigger section - at least 14 nice sized touch sensitive pads (that allow high tempo triplets while not killing the wrist).

3 or 4 Jogs.

Improved open ended midi with like 1000+ intervals not 0-127.

3 octave piano, for those of us who wanna mosh out a synth while the tune is going, for knob/crossfader purposes the piano is considered a deck.

Ill choose my own audio card thanks.

Rows of super bright LED's on the sides of the unit under a metal housing that shines plenty of light onto the deck.

minimum of 3x4 rows of high performance arcade buttons below the jogs.

Big, heavy and strong enough to beat up a vinyl loving, electronic dj hater with, while still living on to mix another day.

Arcade buttons surrounding both of the decks to control loop sizes

and 3... no wait... 4 kitchen sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    One touch sensitive USABLE button in the effects section per knob and none none of this splitting it up into A B and master channel crap, at least 8 knobs, 8 buttons, 4 cross faders and two nice long firm faders (like the vci volume faders) per deck just for the effects section alone.

1 xy pad and 1 joystick per deck.

A bigarse drum trigger section - at least 14 nice sized touch sensitive pads (that allow high tempo triplets while not killing the wrist).

3 or 4 Jogs.

Improved open ended midi with like 1000+ intervals not 0-127.

3 octave piano, for those of us who wanna mosh out a synth while the tune is going, for knob/crossfader purposes the piano is considered a deck.

Ill choose my own audio card thanks.

Rows of super bright LED's on the sides of the unit under a metal housing that shines plenty of light onto the deck.

minimum of 3x4 rows of high performance arcade buttons below the jogs.

Big, heavy and strong enough to beat up a vinyl loving, electronic dj hater with, while still living on to mix another day.

Arcade buttons surrounding both of the decks to control loop sizes

and 3... no wait... 4 kitchen sinks.
    4 kitchen sinks is a must have feature wish I'd thought of that one

I like the X/Y pad idea, but I can't really see the point of a joystick being necessary if you got a x/y pad anyway. Integrating a few good things from a MPD, Kaos Pad, and VCI would probably be a nice starting point design to work from. One thing to keep in mind is to try to keep the design user space friendly as much as possible at least.

A lot of different ideas might have start making a list of the different ideas then once a bunch are established run a few polls. I wasn't expecting so many quick responses.

How big would these controllers be though if we had everything we wanted?!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Joysticks naturally return to their center point which makes them particularly handy for pitchbending effects, way better than a jog wheel or a tempo fader. So sayings its to be used in conjunction with the jogs and temp fader, its not a replacement. Different devices pull off different effects better than others, so i like having a slew of different interface devices and choose the best effects to suit the device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast