Question about transistions between club DJs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about transistions between club DJs

So I have this question that I've been wondering about for a while.

I've always wondered how (EDM) DJs transistion between sets. Do they mix into the last person's set? Fade out the last person really quickly and start their own music? Somehow when I'm out I always intend to pay attention to what happens and sort of miss it - there's two guys on stage and then at the next point at which I'm paying attention there's one person on stage.

Anyway, I'm trying to get club gigs at the moment, so it's definetely something I need to know. Any and all information you guys have on this topic would be useful!

Tech Guru

If you don't notice the transition they're probably mixing into the previous set. It's no different from transitioning between two of your own tracks - some techniques work for small BPM changes, some work for large changes.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Just got back from Ultra and they use a guy that sounds like he smokes 20 packs of cigarettes a day. They stop the music and then he comes out between each DJ and asks people amazing questions like "how they are feeling out there?" Commands them to "don't go anywhere!" and sometimes reminds them that "there is more DJ's coming up."

Depends on the crowd, the dj, the song,a nd the genre mate.

At a very big popular festival they usually stop the music. At some smaller more focused festivals they may keep it going non stop. Also depending on the genre as well. Straight house, techno, or other genres may not want to kill the mood, vibe, and work put into the crowd and want to keep the momentum.

Some DJs want to reset the energy and start over, but I mostly prefer to mix out and change it gradually to what I want. I think cutting the music is just totally counterintuitive to being a DJ.

For most residents then mix into each other smoothly. Most should along the last song to play out a little before mixing out as a common courtesy, but some guys are douches. Also as the last person playing you should talk to the DJ before and ask what he wants to play, bpm, energy, and give him as much time as possible to set up, and mix out, a long song is good here.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Just got back from Ultra and they use a guy that sounds like he smokes 20 packs of cigarettes a day. They stop the music and then he comes out between each DJ and asks people amazing questions like "how they are feeling out there?" Commands them to "don't go anywhere!" and sometimes reminds them that "there is more DJ's coming up."
    Hahaha yes!

depends, sometimes they let the previous track ride out, sometimes they mix it, sometimes they pull it back..

i usually don't mix into someone's set, i just let the track roll into the outro/breakdown and fade into my intro bit

Personally I prefer the "reset" if you will. Most of the time I'm still earlier in the night, and playing breaks... I don't always have people of similar BPM's or genre's before (or after) me. I have a few really neat energy building tracks that set the tone as openers that have slow opening sequences, and I'll usually let the last track from someone else fade out or get to a breakdown, and then cut over.

Mixing in is fine as well if you're playing the same kind of stuff. Honestly though, it really depends on the time, place, location, and crowd. Read the crowd, consider what you are going to be playing, consider what the person before you is playing... and use logic.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Sometimes i do the classic Oakenfold technique which is simply crash your first tune over the previous DJs last one...sounds awful but makes an announcement...

Although if its a bigger event i tend to produce an intro specifically for it
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

brutal crossfade slam + cheesey grin right in the middle of their last track, especially if they trll you to "let it run out"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast