Record Pools like DJCity, Legal?

Default Record Pools like DJCity, Legal?

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to all this.

I am one of those people who always pay for all my music, software, etc. I am a stickler about it. Without getting into a moral discussion about it, this is my stance and will always be my stance.

Recently I have been purchasing tons of music from Amazon. In the last few weeks I have seen many discussions around Record Pools. The more I look into them the more they sound like a great service for me. Though, honestly, I am a skeptic. It just seems to be good to be true to be able to download, keep, and use (perform live for audiences) all these copyrighted music for a relatively low monthly fee. And, should one decide to cancel their subscription to the record pool, the music one has downloaded is supposed to be legally theirs to continue to use. Of course never distribute to anyone.

I guess there is that little voice in my head that says when things seem to be too good to be true, they usually are. Though, I have spent a few hours searching google to find RIAA cases or other lawsuits where people got in trouble for this stuff. I have found nothing like this. I can't even find a news article, blog entry, or anything that says this stuff is illegal. I am starting to think its legal, but again it just seems too good to be true.

Anyone have any thoughts and/or information to share about this? Want to discuss this?

I have not tried/joined any record pool yet. I am trying to ensure that A.) It's legal, B.) If it is legal, to join a pool that is legit, c.) Join a great pool.
    Last edited by ClrCreekRdr; 03-20-2013 at 02:48 PM.

how does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    how does this work?
    Here is a popular record pool to check out: www.djcity.com

I think it works like this. You pay $30/month. With your subscription you get to download as much of the music they have as you like. You get to keep these music files because, I believe, they count as you purchased them since you would be paying a subscription.

That's what I believe. If it's legit, I would be very happy.

the concept is cool, but i kinda doubt the legit side.

30$ isn't that little, but still i'm not sure that labels would benefit from this scheme, and if they wouldn't this wouldn't be happening

Tech Guru

record pools have been around a very long time. Yes they are legit (most of them)....DJCity being one of them. Much of the songs they get are promos distro'd by the labels for DJ use. If you play it a club, people will go buy it.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

cool stuff

Tech Wizard

Hey guys, I'm the manager over at DJcity. yes we are a legal operating record pool with relationships with all the major record labels as well as artists themselves. We service new music for promotional use for working DJs only. If you have any more questions or comments feel free to email me directly at styles @ djcity . com.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by styles View Post
    Hey guys, I'm the manager over at DJcity. yes we are a legal operating record pool with relationships with all the major record labels as well as artists themselves. We service new music for promotional use for working DJs only. If you have any more questions or comments feel free to email me directly at styles @ djcity . com.

Peace!
    Hi Styles. Thank you for providing information about DJCity. This sounds great. Does DJCity have a document, link, or something otherwise that would help people that are trying to ensure they are licensed to download the digital media from your website?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ClrCreekRdr View Post
    Hi Styles. Thank you for providing information about DJCity. This sounds great. Does DJCity have a document, link, or something otherwise that would help people that are trying to ensure they are licensed to download the digital media from your website?
    Check out our Terms of Service page for a breakdown of copyright and licensing info >> http://www.djcity.com/t-termsofuse.aspx