Strange Technic 1210 problem - can anyone help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Strange Technic 1210 problem - can anyone help?

Hey,

I'm experiencing a very weird problem when I turn one of my technic 1210 mk2s on and I have absolutely no clue as to what's causing it.

Rather than explain it, I have uploaded a video showing what happens.

Basically, it seems as if there's low torque, the platter judders backwards and forwards and the LEDs flicker. It's as if there's not enough power.

Can anyone offer any advice, or suggest what could be causing the problem?

Thanks,

Adam

ouch! when you play a record does it sound choppy too? have you taken the platter off to look at the motor yet? the leds flickering sounds like you have a bad power source. and something gripping the motor
    Last edited by spadenation; 03-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Tech Mentor

try this mate...

take the platter of the spindler, and check around the magnet for build up of dirty and grease, also give the bottom of the platter a good wipe.

unscrew the plastic cover to the main part of the 1210's companents check the power supply is soldered to the chipboard properly. i use a can of compressed air to blow away any debri....

after that check the powersupply lead for any rips / tears maybe even remove them your self...

i know it soudns baisic but thats what i would do...

ps... nice colour... howd u get that?
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

I'd guess the problem is worst after, say 20-30 minutes and don't happen when the pitch is at 0%? Really common problem usually caused by some defective components on the main board. Usually not too expensive to fix in any good service center.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    ps... nice colour... howd u get that?
    I completely stripped them down to the faceplate, sprayed them and then refitted them back up. I also bought new tonearms, and tonearm bases as I wanted to change from the standard 1210 black to the 1200 silver to go with the blue better. Re-greased everything, and then upgraded all LEDs to ice white. I still need to install a halo around both platters, once I get them both working (one works, but this one is a pain!). I also internally grounded them both and upgraded the cables to blue Van Damme phonos.

See pictures below (they're not the best pics, I took some of them really quickly on my phone last night. I'll take some propper ones when they're all up and running).

photo.jpg
    image.jpg
    photo2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    I'd guess the problem is worst after, say 20-30 minutes and don't happen when the pitch is at 0%? Really common problem usually caused by some defective components on the main board. Usually not too expensive to fix in any good service center.
    Nope, it's instantaneous as soon as I power it on

Quote Originally Posted by spadenation View Post
    ouch! when you play a record does it sound choppy too? have you taken the platter off to look at the motor yet? the leds flickering sounds like you have a bad power source. and something gripping the motor
    I've not tried playing vinyl on it mate as it's still on my work bench. It's not actually in the rubber casing and screwed in, it's literally the faceplate with all the internals. I just added the platter to test before fixing it all together. Then I noticed this fault.

Any more ideas? I think it's something to do with Q1 and Q2 transistors, or so I've heard.
    Last edited by AJCuffe; 03-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Tech Convert

Here's another one...

technic.jpg

viperfrank is a legend

what type of paint did you use on the decks??

could be a leaky transistor pair indeed. without the unit on hand, it's like fishing in the dark
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post

viperfrank is a legend

what type of paint did you use on the decks??
    It's standard automotive metallic paint

Tech Convert

I have just replaced:-

1 x 2SD1265 (Q1)
    2 x 2SD637-R (Q2 & Q3)
    1 x 5V1 Zener diode (D3)

And the problem still persists. So that pretty much rules out the power supply regulation. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast