Traktor Volume Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor Volume Question

So my last show was about 2 weeks ago... I am still pretty new to the whole djing thing, but I had a question concerning volume in Traktor...

I am going to try and explain this the best I can, so bare with me :/

My Traktor layout is pretty much

Limiter -3db
    Master gain -10db
    Deck Gain 0db each

My last show, the mix was actually kind of low, so I tried turning up the master gain my self, the volume jumped, and for a moment, I kind of screwed up my own set... I still feel kind of bad about it...

My next show is pretty soon, so I was wondering, what you guys run for volume settings in Traktor... Also, do you think it would of been wise, for me to tell the PA people, to turn up the master out? The monitors at the show were really low also, so I brought 1 studio monitor, as a dedicated, and that helped a lot...

Hope to hear some feedback, thanks!

Set the headroom to -6db and leave the master gain on 0db. the way you have it now you are playing at -13db which is bloody quiet.
    As long as you stay out of the red, you want the output to be as loud as possible!
    p.s turn off the limiter, that is evil.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Set the headroom to -6db and leave the master gain on 0db. the way you have it now you are playing at -13db which is bloody quiet.
    As long as you stay out of the red, you want the output to be as loud as possible!
    LOL Okay, I think this works a lot better... I am in the orange, but it doesn't clip, so that's good...

*note* I thought u had to have the limiter on, to set the headroom, I thought it was linked with it some how, guess not...

Thanks! Gunna rock this next show harder, now that my volume issues are fixed >: D

Yep, this way you should have about +/- 3db to play with on the track decks with no problems
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Yep, this way you should have about +/- 3db to play with on the track decks with no problems
    Ya, I knew this was a problem, cause I played my "Boom" track, at my last show, and the break downs were like pretty much non existent, volume wise @__@ I was like, wtf, I can't even hear it... It should be better, this time around...

Thanks again! <3

I'm going to set mine to this also, I have never played with any volume parameters in Traktor before.. I just thought I was supposed to use my mixer/speaker volume. Learn something new everyday...

Thanks
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Guru

It's not as straightforward as just copying settings, but I guess you can get a relative idea. Just remember that if someone is mixing internally they prob will have their volume settings lower to allow for added EQ, also depends on how people may or may not adjust or even use autogain. With that being said, I have 0 headroom and master volume set at -2.8 at the moment, and I also always mix externally

Thats right. You will need to fiddle with levels etc to get it "just right" for your particular setup. I use the settings i mentioned, but i also use a mixer, so the final levels are set using the master and trims on that.

My show was on the 23rd, and it went pretty well... Thank's again Jester...

Tech Convert

hello:

I just read this information and it seems its the one I was looking for. I recently had a problem with the audio while I was playing with Traktor. The mixer was a Mixer Pioneer 800, therefore I plugged in my stuff properly and the set up of my volumes were:

Main volume -4db
    Deck gain in traktor 0db
    channel gain in mixer +2db or +3db
    Main volume in mixer 0db
    Audio DJ8 sound card from native instruments
    I connected my stuff with the traktor cratch pro cables BUT I WAS NOT USING THE PIONEER 1000MK3 AS CONTROLERS, I USED MY X1
    KEEP IN MIND THAT I USE QUALITY MUSIC FROM BEATPORT

Someone was playing before with vinyls and when I started the volume and the quality dropped down drastically and even when I was trying to increase the volume in the mixer or in traktor, the volume and quality was not good. I tried to balance everything as much as possible but the final sound was something like having a SIDE CHAIN in place (now I think this latter was because the limiter was on). So I played so and after me started to play another DJ with the same stuff but with a MOTU ultralight sound card, my surprise was that the volume and quality was by far much better than mine. So I don't understand what the hell happened. YOUR INPUT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

Now I tried to setup my stuff as follow:

Main volume -6db
    Autogain ON per Deck volume in traktor
    Limiter OFF
    channel gain in mixer 0db
    Main volume in mixer 0db
    Audio DJ8 sound card from native instruments
    I connected my stuff WITH SIMPLE RCA CABLES AND I CONTROL EVERYTHING WITH MY X1

1.-what do you think?
    2.- what should I do?
    3.- is not my sound card of good quality?
    4.- would I improve my sound quality if I change my sound card? which one? I wanna sound like a pro
    5.- what could happen such day?
    6.- what are the crucial points to check before starting to play?
    7.- why my sound quality is too bad?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast