Buy Korg Zero 4 or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buy Korg Zero 4 or not?

Hi all,

I'm kinda stuck here,
    I've been searching for a Richie-hawtin-alike setup for weeks, thinking of what I should get for my minimal setup.
    I was thinking about an all-in-one mixer for Traktor Scratch (I want soundcard + mixer in one).

I've had the Xone 4D, but didn't like the midi layout, way too small for sweeping and useless faders for traktor.

A few days ago, one contacted me for his Korg Zero 4.
    It looks fucking awesome, but is it?
    Didn't read all too good stuff about it.

I hope I get some feedback about this mixer from you guys.

Cheers!
    Latest Production: https://soundcloud.com/pjetrovmusic/techhouse-project-1
    - F1 - F1 - CME UF6 - Maschine Mikro -

Double post? You get a little impatient?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

looks like a interesting mixer, there are way more knobs / buttons than the DJM range - i'm looking for something with 4 channels and midi my self... i want to try and integrate ableton in to my cdj/TT

its a firewire mixer but is it possible to use a firewire -> Usb as i dont have firewire on my MBA?

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    looks like a interesting mixer, there are way more knobs / buttons than the DJM range - i'm looking for something with 4 channels and midi my self... i want to try and integrate ableton in to my cdj/TT

its a firewire mixer but is it possible to use a firewire -> Usb as i dont have firewire on my MBA?
    No, you can not "Firewire -> USB."
    I own a Zero8; I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QAMRONparq View Post
    No, you can not "Firewire -> USB."
    I own a Zero8; I'm happy with it.
    gutted!!!

Tech Guru

You can Thunderbolt <-> Firewire though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I got one, very capable, loads of options

PROs:
    + loads of routing options if you have some way to connect the firewire (and the drivers work for your setup)
    + loads of inputs per channel and differnt types of outs
    + All the eq curves, can set the channel strips to filter mode ala the DB4 if you like, also can set to isolator.
    + Crossfader is good enough for some basic scratching.
    + traktor scratch certified

CONs:
    - The feel of the knobs will take you some getting used too, very small, and a little fiddly given that the channel strips have a full set of fx knobs each crammed right in. It is possible to stick chroma caps on them but there isn't really enough room to use next to the other knobs and the bottom rubbery bit of the knob ends up kinda sticking a bit to the faceplate. My main gripe with the mixer is the knobs.
    - Bpm detection is so so, and the sampler thing is of questionable value, you need to be really on point when grabbing loops with it.
    - some things you might think should be able to be midi mapped cannot be
    - if you have any support/driver issues you are basically on your own

I can mix with it, but the moment I use any other knobs, for instance the chroma caps on my twitch, it just makes me wish I went with another mixer. That being said they do look kinda cool in all lit up in a dark environment.

thanks scooterADAM

all in all your cons dont seem to bad considering the price of the unit... i didn't know it was scratch certified!!
    personally bpm detection is somthing i never use the fact its midi you could do loops within software.. im going to do some more research on it.

i seem to of taken over the ops thread lol

I have one too, and i absolutely adore it. It is a rock solid piece of equipment, the soundcard is one of the best out there and the audio circuits are very high quality. It's one of those mixers that gets a enriched and fatter sound when pushed in the red instead of digital clipping You just can't take it out gigging the first week you have it. It takes some time/skill to master it, but if you do that, it becomes a creative weapon of mass destruction imo.
    SpeakerFreaker | E-MU Xboard 49 | Novation Launchpad | Korg Zero4 | CDJ-400's | Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals | TSP 2 | Mac Pro | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by jessevdriel View Post
    I have one too, and i absolutely adore it. It is a rock solid piece of equipment, the soundcard is one of the best out there and the audio circuits are very high quality. It's one of those mixers that gets a enriched and fatter sound when pushed in the red instead of digital clipping You just can't take it out gigging the first week you have it. It takes some time/skill to master it, but if you do that, it becomes a creative weapon of mass destruction imo.
    But it's not possible on Windows?
    Latest Production: https://soundcloud.com/pjetrovmusic/techhouse-project-1
    - F1 - F1 - CME UF6 - Maschine Mikro -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast