Cheating .... ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheating .... ?

Tech Wizard

Default Cheating .... ?

This is something that i've long thought about and decided to bring it up to get some opinons on the matter....I was mixing last night and was spinning Save the World - Swedish House Mafia - Zedd Remix and while looking for my next tune i was like wow this would go perfectly with Shave it - Zedd. I could hear it in my head and it worked really well...so i did it, and it sounded great.

Buttttttt I feel like by playing two tracks from the same artist its sorta like cheating. its a very similar sound in both tunes and just feels like im not working hard enough to mix hahaha.

What's everyones thoughts on this ??

Save the world - zedd remix:

Shave it - zedd:
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

lol, no

Tech Mentor

Of course not.

Although, I'd question your choice of tracks.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Of course not.

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Of course not.

Haha, this, in a nutshell.

Tech Mentor

I know a guy in my town that would do "tribute" mixes of his favorite label at the time, Anjunabeats. Always thought that was kinda lame. Especially since he wasn't a remixer or producer on the label being asked to do it. To me it shows a lack of individualism as a dj. Dig deeper when looking for tunes. Don't just look at Beatport's top 100 list. But to each his own I guess.

I think the only place anyone really cares is in the DnB scene....

But id think mixing a track from one artist that remixed by another into the remixers track isn't really an issue.

Mind you i've found tracks by completely different people that sound very similar, and most people cant tell the difference anyway!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

i see too many threads about DJs out-thinking themselves. Just do what sounds good! Three tracks on the other hand may be pushing it...
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

I have to DJ top 40 crud at my club, and up until a few weeks ago, I'd megamix the majority of SHM tunes and get them out of the way in ten-fifteen minutes, because it looks better mixing all those tracks into one than it does "oh every other song is SHM". In my opinion. I know a lot of top 40 DJs who think mixing two tracks by the same artist is an absolute travesty that should be punishable by death.

I've done it a cupple of times one girl always used to ask for Guetta and if she came early or not many people were at the club I just mixed some of his songs maybe the intro of once then a vers from another chorus of one and she freaked out a cuble of minuts and was wasted so no more Guetta for the night

It's not cheating in my book to play 2 songs from same artist back to back if it goes well together and most important with the people dancing.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast