no money is music? no wonder... here is one reason why
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default no money in music? no wonder... here is one reason why

Sometimes i think i do it to myself. Today i went looking for trouble basically and thats exactly what i found.

I just got this submission mix from a potential dj for the station.
    The mix sounds pretty good but has some strange elements to it when going from track to track.
    Its not that the levels are off but something about the overall mastering of the songs is off.

I i pulled up his tracklist for the mix and i started searching.
    Not sure exactly what led me to think this was going to turn out this way but

i found every single one of his songs FOR FREE DOWNLOAD on soundcloud.
    This guy didnt purchase one single track. (yes i know theres no rule against that) but
    So before i emailed him, i happened to ask, "so where do you usually get your music from, are you part of a pool bla bla bla"

He said he only does his shopping on beatport........

Im sorry but i know i asked for it but now..... two things
    1) No wonder music sites are hardly making money
    2) there is just something unethical about the results....

Sorry. i just had to get that off my chest
    Last edited by antifmradio; 03-24-2013 at 06:49 PM.

It's weird he lied about it - nothing to be ashamed of - in fact the opposite, respect for digging for stuff away from the norm
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Well, did the tracks actually belong to the people who were giving them away?
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

yes they werent illegally shared tracks
    it was all legit
    and to this responce

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    It's weird he lied about it - nothing to be ashamed of - in fact the opposite, respect for digging for stuff away from the norm
    thats whats got me kinda torn here. ANd i know its just me becase if its my wife, djs, singers, or anyone at the office, i guess i just expect a higher caliber from some people.
    Im just being fussy about it im sure.

Tech Mentor

Mmmm I'm finding it hard to grasp the problem if they weren't illegally shared?

the people that put the songs on soundcloud were the producers of the songs
    they arent commercial tracks
    the dj however seems to only use soundcloud as his music source
    even though telling me he only purchases beatport available musc

Tech Mentor

It does seem funny he lied about it, but I don't really think he's damaging the industry - It would have to become a widespread trend.

Well that's what the producers of those songs wanted, right? Sharing - to possibly be played out or on air, right?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

hmm.. i agree with Nicky H, there is nothing wrong about soundclioud tracks but i do understand you. If all his tracks are downloaded from soundcloud is it a possibility that he doesn't thinks tracks are worth his money so he scales his track sources down to the free alternatives such as soundcloud. This probably results in fewer tracks or lower quallity tracks, because he knows this and doesn't want you to know about it he lies.... atleast thats my theory
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    Well that's what the producers of those songs wanted, right? Sharing - to possibly be played out or on air, right?
    Yeah exactly.

My favorite DJ/Producer out there puts TONS of his tracks (remixes) out for free on soundcloud. I could put together a great set with his tracks alone. The money he want's is not for his FREE song....he wants to get booked to DJ it. I think it's great this guy does some digging. I think because of posts like this he lied to you and told you Beatport because you've created the perception that digging thru soundcloud is bad. Its not.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast