10 34.48%
  • Modular Media Player

2 6.90%
  • Other

1 3.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Controller vs DVS vs Modular Systems

I am wondering how much of a difference does DJing on a DVS system, controller or a pair of CDJs/NDXs really make on how much "fun" DJing is for the DJ.
    I figure that each, have their ups and downs but I just would like to know what you guys think.

On controllers, I figure we have instant and almost infinite control over almost every aspect of our mix! HOWEVER -- if things go astray, your entire setup can fail you, and your night gig is over if you don't have a back up system. This has happened to me and many of my associates. So it seems like a lot of fun because of how creative you can get with all the manipulation tools built into controllers, but its an all or nothing deal. To all controllerists reading this: Does it bother you knowing that your entire rig can fail you like that?

On a DVS system, I assume that scratching is the main manipulation tool (next to beat matching and blending of course). And because a DVS system is modular, your entire setup is less likely to fail all at once. Unless of course your DVS box/mixer/computer fails. If that happens then you are reduced to playing from what ever back up vinyl or CDs you have on hand. Sounds like a crazy amount of fun. To all turntabalists: does it bother you that you seem to have a lack of control over your mix (or at least not as much as everyone else seems to have)?

I figure that using CDJs/NDXs would be similar (Depending on what models you are using) only you can't just press a sync button and be perfectly okay. I like the sound of a modular system, especially since its very unlikely that your ENTIRE set up will fail you in a moments notice. And the coolest part is no need for a laptop. Just a couple of flash drives. HOWEVER -- you seem to be limited to what ever amount of music you can fit on a flashdrive. A lot of you guys have well over 100 gigs of music. And flashdrives that are supported by popular players don't go up that high in capacity. So to all modular DJs: Does your limited music library bother you?

Okay guys which do you think is the most fun?

Tech Guru

you are asking this on a site that is mostly focused on controllers (and sells them). Ask this same question on the Serato forum and 1200's is the clear favorite.

1200's my vote....as to what is most "fun"
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Personally I find the most "fun" to be had with whatever gives me the most control over the type of music that I play. For me, that's controllers, and ideally a lot of them. The more control surfaces I have on hand, the more creative I can be with my set. Ideally I'd also have production/performance surfaces as well, like a Maschine, but I'm skint atm so not much chance of that.

A DVS offers me nothing, personally, as I don't scratch. The same applies for traditional "media player" devices like CDJs or cross-media players... with such basic and limited transport controls, as well as piss-poor FX, they don't really provide the level of control I expect when giving a live performance. People always moan at me about this, and say, "well why not just add an X1 or something to CDJs?", but the simple fact is that if I'm going MIDI, I'll go completely MIDI, with a brand that I like the feel/handling of.

Does it bother me "knowing" that my entire rig can fail mid-set? No, because I'm not one of these people who seems to be under the impression that things just "go wrong" for no reason. PEOPLE make things go wrong by being stupid. You wouldn't believe the number of times people have said to me "my computer just broke!" and I have to reply, "you mean YOU broke your computer." They're not sentient...

Not to mention, the things that really ARE out of your control and could damage your gear, like someone throwing a drink from the crowd, tripping over and smashing into the box, being struck by lightning, a rocker launcher being fired at you, etc etc are going to damage your gear no matter WHAT you're using. Plus, not only does it qualify as "act of god", it's also NOT your problem.

Tech Guru

More features, more effects, more buttons, etc. does not equal more creative. I used to think the same way when I first started messing with traktor. I thought all the neat mappings were great and creative and enjoyed all the things I could do at the press of a button. Eventually I felt more connected with a button and knob than I did with the music.

Once I went back to 1200's it was "fun" again. I worried less about features and more about the music, I wasn't limited in creativity by my equipment, I was limited in thinking I needed more. Turns out I enjoy hardware FX MUCH more than anything Traktor has as well. Something about post fader effects and sounding '"wetter".

I enjoy playing on CDJ's....but if it we're strictly talking about "fun" nothing is funner than a set of turntables (for me).
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I use a modular controller setup and mix externally as l am getting into using the remix decks, but as for the most fun turntables gets my vote.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Every pioneer player after the CDJ-400 read up to 1 TB HDD's...
    SpeakerFreaker | E-MU Xboard 49 | Novation Launchpad | Korg Zero4 | CDJ-400's | Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals | TSP 2 | Mac Pro | Soundcloud

Tech Wizard

turntables, standard. far more fun. have tried turntables, controllers and cdjs and i always come back to turntables.
    infact ive made a concious effort this year to buy more records and less mp3's. means im more careful with quality control and dont just buy filler

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jessevdriel View Post
    Every pioneer player after the CDJ-400 read up to 1 TB HDD's...
    CDJs read FAT32, where max volume size is 2TB. Shouldn't be a problem for most people's libraries..
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

The fun comes not from whether you're flicking a switch, or nudging a platter, but from blending 2 tunes perfectly so that it sounds AWESOME.

BUt for me, a combination of TT's and controllers is HELLA fun.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Ive combined the best of both, with an S4 between a set of 1210's, though im fully in agreement with the 'TT's are more fun' side. My S4 jogwheels dont even get a look in now, as the feel of cueing with the turntables and nudging into time feels a lot more 'organic' to the process and my mixing has jumped up a notch since getting them.

The S4 really just acts a mixer now (albiet a terribly plastic one) and im thinking of getting a Z2 or DJM-T1 to replace it when i have the cash.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast