Seeking lessons from releasing an EP
    Tech Mentor

Default Seeking lessons from releasing an EP

hey guys,

so i keep working on my tracks and want to release a 3 song EP in the near future. Are there anyone here who has released any EPs? I'd love to learn the lessons that you guys discovered when releasing it to masses.
    - how do you measure it's success?
    - were you trying to get signed or releasing for fun?
    - were you pleased with the reception of it?
    - what you wish you knew before you released it?
    - what channels of promotion you wish you focus more on?
    - any recommendations.

thanks!

Tech Mentor

I just released a 4-track EP and I'm planning to release another one on may with 7 tracks. I can tell you a few things about releasing stuff:
    -You don't have to search for a record label if you don't want to, there are tons of artists who make their own way without releasing via great labels and they're pretty known.
    -Watch out with copyright, if you used any samples, you could get eventually denounced (is that a word? xD)
    -If you wanna release it by yourself, I recommend you BandCamp. People can spend the money they want when they purchase your EP.
    -Make a cover, that's very nice.
    -Publish it on Soundcloud & on Youtube, and then distribute it via Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr... you know what I mean.

I cannot tell you a lot about success, because it just got released and nearly nobody has listened to it. If you want to enjoy it: http://www.soundcloud.com/lovebeatal...beat-labels-ep

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBeat View Post

I cannot tell you a lot about success, because it just got released and nearly nobody has listened to it. If you want to enjoy it: http://www.soundcloud.com/lovebeatal...beat-labels-ep
    We are listening now!

Tech Mentor

thanks!! the EP is typical mainstream prog house and the mastering is pretty poor but I hope you guys like it

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

thanks!! the EP is typical mainstream prog house and the mastering is pretty poor but I hope you guys like it
    The mastering is not the problem.. the total destruction of the tracks audio becuase of distortion thoughout the entire EP is though.

The first thing I'd do is sort out the audio issues, not saying make it perfect, but it shouldn't sound like complete crap on even a macbook's speakers.

Take any limiters / compressors off the Master, Pull back all your levels into the green and re-export, if you need to level stuff up a bit run it though Audacity with a light compressor and normalize. It shouldn't crunch like it does now. I get the feeling you either ran well into the red or hard limited everything afterwards and its really screwed up the sound.

Once you have the sound sorted out fire out copies to radio stations, other djs', make it available to 100 people on sound cloud that have similar grooves and residencies (until thats done you wont get airtime).

They are not the worst tracks I've ever heard, not really my thing but here's my 2 cents.

Track 1 and 4 have a bit too much of the oldskool piano-house about them (I did like piano house back in 1998 dont get me wrong).

Track 2 - Just not feeling it whatsoever, felt like a fill-in to me.

Track 3 - Similar vein and as good as a certain deceased rat has put out from time to time (thats a compliment i think).

IMHO the first and last tracks should be combined together to bring things a lil more up-to-date just didnt feel that there was enough happening in either of them on their own - just a thought.

Tech Mentor

but music production aside - what are other lessons one wish they learned before releasing an EP?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    The mastering is not the problem.. the total destruction of the tracks audio becuase of distortion thoughout the entire EP is though.

The first thing I'd do is sort out the audio issues, not saying make it perfect, but it shouldn't sound like complete crap on even a macbook's speakers.

Take any limiters / compressors off the Master, Pull back all your levels into the green and re-export, if you need to level stuff up a bit run it though Audacity with a light compressor and normalize. It shouldn't crunch like it does now. I get the feeling you either ran well into the red or hard limited everything afterwards and its really screwed up the sound.

Once you have the sound sorted out fire out copies to radio stations, other djs', make it available to 100 people on sound cloud that have similar grooves and residencies (until thats done you wont get airtime).

They are not the worst tracks I've ever heard, not really my thing but here's my 2 cents.

Track 1 and 4 have a bit too much of the oldskool piano-house about them (I did like piano house back in 1998 dont get me wrong).

Track 2 - Just not feeling it whatsoever, felt like a fill-in to me.

Track 3 - Similar vein and as good as a certain deceased rat has put out from time to time (thats a compliment i think).

IMHO the first and last tracks should be combined together to bring things a lil more up-to-date just didnt feel that there was enough happening in either of them on their own - just a thought.
    I really thank you for hearing my crappy EP and telling me what did you think and what could be better! That's really nice from you! I'll start working on the audio problems ASAP, because people already told me for example that in track 4 the drums distorted too much the leads, in track 3 the drums couldn't be heard... etc. About my style, I gotta tell you this was my early work, I worked a lot with pianos and stuff, and I'm trying to leave that aspect behind, I wanna continue in the style of track 3 (that thing with the "certain deceased rat"... you talkin about deadmau5? If so, thanks ), but whatever, I know these tracks are not sooo great and I respect your opinion. Also I'm gonna try about combining tracks 1 and 4 and see how things work Thanks a lot once again!!!

-Watch out with copyright, if you used any samples, you could get eventually denounced (is that a word? xD)
    I think the word you're looking for is sued. lol. If it's good music, samples don't matter. Hell, if you don't have much going for you, it's almost a smart move. Having nothing to take and putting out a great tune that gets further put in the spotlight due to legal issues only increases your spotlight. Better than a publicist can do sometimes. Double bonus if it helps revive/bring attention to an older artist who may have fell out of the spotlight as well.