Fellow Canadians: What's the best way to ship products from US sites?
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,548

    Default Fellow Canadians: What's the best way to ship products from US sites?

    How's it going guys, i'm hoping to find some advice on companies that handle shipping from american sites. I'm wanting to order Ableton Push from Guitar Center but they don't ship that product to Canada. I was thinking about using one of those middle men shipping companies that will do shipping to Canada. Has anyone ever had any experience with these?

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor LXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    How's it going guys, i'm hoping to find some advice on companies that handle shipping from american sites. I'm wanting to order Ableton Push from Guitar Center but they don't ship that product to Canada. I was thinking about using one of those middle men shipping companies that will do shipping to Canada. Has anyone ever had any experience with these?
    Depending where you live you could send it to a border mailbox.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    hmm I briefly read about that, how does that work?

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor fitzyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I live on the Michigan border. I get stuff shipped to the closest border crossing even if the company does ship to Canada. I usually get taxed hard when shipping directly to my house internationally.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor fitzyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    hmm I briefly read about that, how does that work?
    Instead of putting your address in the shipping info, you put the address of the border crossing + c/o Rdej47. They charge me $5 to bring it over. Check the website of your closest border crossing.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzyp View Post
    Instead of putting your address in the shipping info, you put the address of the border crossing + c/o Rdej47. They charge me $5 to bring it over. Check the website of your closest border crossing.
    Awesome man thanks for your help. I'm in Saskatchewan and it's maybe an hour and a half drive to the border. I'd rather take the small drive then be surprised with the ridiculous surprise fee's that you usually get.

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, CAN via Bridgetown, Barbados
    Posts
    219

    Default

    second what fitzyp said. When I lived on the border with Michigan as well, we'd always do it that way. But make sure to do your research, for some reason I feel on the Canada/Michigan border they just didn't care.

    Side Note: We also used to buy our Kegs in Michigan for our keggers. saves TONS of money!!!

  8. #8
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiggChev View Post
    second what fitzyp said. When I lived on the border with Michigan as well, we'd always do it that way. But make sure to do your research, for some reason I feel on the Canada/Michigan border they just didn't care.

    Side Note: We also used to buy our Kegs in Michigan for our keggers. saves TONS of money!!!
    Is there ever any issues with duties or taxes? Since I would just be crossing the border to pick up a package wouldn't I have to pay a lot of duties due to the dollar limit on what I can bring back in such a short amount of time?

  9. #9
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lake Michigan Garbage Projector
    Posts
    60

    Default

    You're best off buying the item from Musicians Friend, which is a part of the Guitar Center company, sells all the same gear, and ships to Canada.

    Then pay for a "pre-brokered" shipping service like UPS International Expedited. As long as you're reasonably close to a city in SK, it's often about $35-$50, has a 5-6 day delivery timeframe, and you wont get hit with those surprise UPS fees tacked on simply for moving a package into the hands of Canada Customs. Whatever you do, do not choose base shipping forms like UPS Ground or USPS First Class. Customs can delay those for weeks on end, and you'll probably get the brokerage fee added on as an insult.

    You'll still have to pay GST/PST no matter what. You might as well just pay it from home. There's a chance you could use the US mailbox company and still end up getting hit for duties when coming back into Canada.

  10. #10

    Default

    10% Is all you pay but depends also on value sometimes nothing. Also the crossing you goto matters portal is more sticky then noonan or unger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •