To Synth or Not To Synth, that is the question.

View Poll Results: Would you get an analog synth?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, analog is the way to go!

8 80.00%
  • No, use that money for VST's, or for other equipment.

2 20.00%

Default To Synth or Not To Synth, that is the question.

It's been a while now that i've been wanting to own an analog synth of my own. I've been toying with the idea for a while, while holding on to a separate small stash of cash i've been putting away just for one. And now that i'm here, i'm kind of scared haha. The main reason I want a synth is because I like the idea of having something tactile to create sounds with, rather than having to adjust knobs with my mouse and what not. And now that I have the cash ready, i'm having second thoughts. The fact that I have quite a few VST's (Komplete Ultimate, as well as Sylenth1, & a few others) at my fingertips, which I got for almost half the price of what it'll cost me for the Moog Sub Phatty, is bugging me. I'm not sure whether it's worth it to pull the trigger or not.

So DJTT, my question to you is if you had the option, would you guys buy an analog synth, or would you chose to get a few VST's instead of the analog synth? Feel free to do the poll and leave your opinions !

Thank You!

Tech Guru

As much as I love the hands on approach with analog nothing beats the convenience of vsts. You can't just decide to pop out your analog gear while on a plane and start trying out new ideas.

I think analog gear is great for learning synthesis because it is so hands on. I think once you understand more about synths you work just as fast with the keyboard and mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I think analog gear is great for learning synthesis because it is so hands on. I think once you understand more about synths you work just as fast with the keyboard and mouse.
    That's actually the reason behind why I initially wanted to get an analog synth. That's why I am so hesitant. I love the idea of it, but I feel that a big part of the reason why I want it, is to be able to fully understand and see how synthesis works. $1000 is a pretty expensive lesson haha.

Thank you all for voting, and than you rdej for your response!

Tech Guru

I made a post over at Gearslutz:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ynth-push.html

Then again, those people are kinda biased towards analog synths... but it helps.

If you have the money, do it. They are a lot of fun, just do it right- there are a lot of good choices out there but some of the new budget analog synths are a little too basic.

Moogs in general are kinda boring, though the sub phatty is better than the other cheaper moogs and a lot of other options but it still doesn't really do anything for me. I guess it would make a great first analog synth but my perspective is a bit different.

ms20 mini looks cool.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.