Do I need MIDI ins and outs on an interface?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Do I need MIDI ins and outs on an interface?

I'm using NI maschine, producing hip-hop and R&B tracks (or hoping to) and I'm about to buy an audio interface. I've been thinking I should get one with MIDI ins and outs but it occurred to me that I could just still connect my midi keyboard to maschine as I have been doing. Then connect my guitars and bass to the interface. Would I need MIDI ins and outs on my interface if I want to use the keyboards own sounds aswell as using it as a controller for maschine's sounds? Or is my thinking generally flawed in any way here? Any input appreciated. Also, what would be you guys recommendations for an audio usb interface? What are you guys using?

Most MIDI communication these days is done over USB anyway, if you've got an older device with the 5-pin DIN MIDI connection, you can always pick up a USB MIDI adapter for 99p on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I'm using NI maschine, producing hip-hop and R&B tracks (or hoping to) and I'm about to buy an audio interface. I've been thinking I should get one with MIDI ins and outs but it occurred to me that I could just still connect my midi keyboard to maschine as I have been doing. Then connect my guitars and bass to the interface. Would I need MIDI ins and outs on my interface if I want to use the keyboards own sounds aswell as using it as a controller for maschine's sounds? Or is my thinking generally flawed in any way here? Any input appreciated. Also, what would be you guys recommendations for an audio usb interface? What are you guys using?
    Hi, I use Maschines as well. I don't use any soundcards that also have MIDI interfaces, though - I don't think it's a necessary feature, especially considering that you've got one with Maschine already. I would highly recommend the Apogee Duet 2, which sounds amazing and has excellent preamps.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Most MIDI communication these days is done over USB anyway, if you've got an older device with the 5-pin DIN MIDI connection, you can always pick up a USB MIDI adapter for 99p on eBay.
    Pretty much this. Very little reason to have an actual MIDI port these days.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Useful for sending/receiving MIDI clock though.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Useful for sending/receiving MIDI clock though.
    I know there will probably be a few sniggers at this but, whats midi clock? I'm pretty new to the technical side of music. Give me a guitar/bass or sit me in front of a keyboard or piano and I'm cool but this stuff, well, lets just say I'm ascending the learning curve...slowly...

It's a bit bigger than a mini clock, a bit smaller than a normal clock, and a HELL of a lot bigger than a watch.

In all seriousness, MIDI clock is basically a type of ghetto timecode which synchronizes the BPMs/tempo of several MIDI devices.

One day you wil find yourself picking up a vintage piece of gear and wishing you had midi in your interfaced. The usb to midi adapters work great tho if you end up with out and you can get em for around 20 bucks.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    One day you wil find yourself picking up a vintage piece of gear and wishing you had midi in your interfaced. The usb to midi adapters work great tho if you end up with out and you can get em for around 20 bucks.
    Try 99p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-To-MID...item336c4fa6e0

Jesus cristo thats cheap.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast