Beware of flash drives....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beware of flash drives....

It might just be me but.... I have noticed that as flash drives have gotten cheaper the past couple of years the quality has really gone down, they have become very unreliable. Sometimes they will read in a cdj sometimes not. Might look good on the mac at home, but plug it into the same mac 30mins later at the club, and now i have to restart my laptop to get the file system to mount. Not good! I always fresh format my drives when i buy them, to fat32 so they will read in cdjs, and i have been using sandisk drives, but im always bringing my cds just in case. Anyone else having this problem??

I might have been pretty lucky but I did have a lot of problems with flashdrives in college. Do you safely eject them? Macs tend to screw everything up when you don't do this. But frankly, I've had the same Sandisk since I finished college 2 years ago and never had a problem with it since I started doing this. It's also good once in a while to format your key just because a lot of hidden files can fill your flashdrive up and create issues when you plug it into a new computer. Hope that kind of helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    It might just be me but.... I have noticed that as flash drives have gotten cheaper the past couple of years the quality has really gone down, they have become very unreliable. Sometimes they will read in a cdj sometimes not. Might look good on the mac at home, but plug it into the same mac 30mins later at the club, and now i have to restart my laptop to get the file system to mount. Not good! I always fresh format my drives when i buy them, to fat32 so they will read in cdjs, and i have been using sandisk drives, but im always bringing my cds just in case. Anyone else having this problem??
    The real question is, why are you blaming the USB sticks rather than the laptop/CDJ?

That's a good point too. Maybe your firmware are not up to date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

Tech Guru

I've had an SD card get its database corrupted once, but that was easily fixed just by refreshing through Rekordbox.

There are tons of cheap rubbish USB sticks out there - even from SanDisk - so you should really check the reviews and actual recorded transfer rates before you buy any flash media.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by 031999
    Might look good on the mac at home, but plug it into the same mac...

I ain'y sayin' nuffink.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I ain'y sayin' nuffink.
    Probably safer not to, and just relish in the fact that WE know the truth.

Tech Guru

Truth being that Windows is widely praised for it's flash-drive-removing abilities? It's Microsoft's fault we're stuck using FAT32 in the 1st place. I actually find OSX better at preparing a drive to be ejected, whereas Windows will keep complaining about the drive still being in use.

Either way it's a minor issue and what OS he's using is not likely to be causing the drive read errors. Faulty flash drives and buggy Rekordbox software are much more likely.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Thanks for all the replies guys, all valid things to look into. i haven't had the problem in a while cuz i only use lacie drives now.

@patch and @mdcdesign im sure the inside joke is hilarious... im guessing its something about OSX

@mdcdesign yeah i just have a hard time blaming a cdj 2000 or a $1600 macbook. but hey anything is possible haha

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Truth being that Windows is widely praised for it's flash-drive-removing abilities? It's Microsoft's fault we're stuck using FAT32 in the 1st place.
    Not quite sure I understand this one tbh... Microsoft are just ONE of a number of vendors who developed the FAT specification.

Sometimes I wish I had you on Facebook makar; could argue about everything all day long without pissing off everyone else on DJTT :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast