Playing A Silent Disco @ Music Festival This Summer...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Playing A Silent Disco @ Music Festival This Summer...

I was asked to play and I'm really pumped about it. Its the 4th year for this festival and the first time for a Silent Disco in these parts. Anyone ever done one of these? What should I expect other then silence?
    Last edited by bisco; 03-19-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Tech Guru

Practice mixing without speakers? Get used to mixing with the Cue/Master mix knob.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

It's very very difficult to judge the crowd reaction unless you're playing big sing-along tracks. You can kind of judge it a bit by where the drops/build-ups are in your track and compare them to what the crowd is doing dancemove-wise. But it's hard. In my experience... not as much fun as a usual gig.

how do you dj on a silent disco? i mean is there some sound or are you just djing in your headphones?

Ever since I first heard this idea, I said no. Can't believe this stupid idea is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Ever since I first heard this idea, I said no. Can't believe this stupid idea is still going.
    Have you even been to one? Thousands of people at one festival alone would disagree with you.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

I believe you just DJ from your headphones. There is a curfew issue with the festival location so they came up with this idea so bring the party into the wee hours of the night. I'm looking forward to it, I like a challenge.
    Reading the crowd will be difficult but at 2-6 in the morning anything goes.....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Have you even been to one? Thousands of people at one festival alone would disagree with you.
    I agree with this. I've attended countless festivals in the US and unless you want to wait in long lines your not going to get a set of headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    not for me man. I like speakers. In fact I love speakers. Nothing better than feeling the beat through your body and ears.

This silent disco BS is a cop out. I live in Miami where Ultra come once a year. All the residents (old boring easily offended people) complain every year. And the city tells them to 'shut up or move." We are not ruining thousands of peoples fun times for a few party poopers.

Bring on the bass.

>

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    not for me man. I like speakers. In fact I love speakers. Nothing better than feeling the beat through your body and ears.

This silent disco BS is a cop out. I live in Miami where Ultra come once a year. All the residents (old boring easily offended people) complain every year. And the city tells them to 'shut up or move." We are not ruining thousands of peoples fun times for a few party poopers.

Bring on the bass.

>
    Its like i thought.... you dont like them because you dont understand them. Thats human nature though. You've COMPLETELY missed the point of what silent disco's are about. Let me tell you though that it has NOTHING to do with noise levels and wanting to keep the residents happy.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast