What Traktor controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Traktor controller

I'm picking up my old hobby. My old setup consisted of 2 SL1210M5G's, Xone:4D, NI Audio4 and Traktor 3. I sold the whole bunch 4 years ago and am now thinking about what new setup to get.

I'm getting the SL1210M5G's again for when i want to go old school with vinyl. I am getting the Pioneer DJM900Nexus as a mixer because of the built in soundcard with scratch certification and of course the effects. The only thing i am not sure about is which controllers to get. I want to be able to control 4 decks in traktor independently so i was thinking of two Kontrol X1's. But these things have been around forever and with the new functionalities in Traktor it seems likely that they will release a new Kontrol soon.. or am i wrong thinking that?

So the question is: what is the best thing to do..? get the X1.. or wait for NI to release something new?

wait for the NI Z4.

Tech Guru

X1s are nice deck controllers if you're happy using sync and refining all your beatgrids. I wouldn't expect a significant upgrade to the X1 anytime soon.

If you want a platter controller there's the Denon SC2000, Reloop Contour, and "soon" there'll be the Behringer PL-1.

Have you thought about having a remix deck instead of 4 full track decks?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

I think you should wait.

Ok.. So the best thing is to wait. i'm not into a platter controller. I just need good deck controllers.. the X1's seem fine but it would be a shame if i buy them and then NI release a new one. So a Z4 will coming as well you guys think? that would be something worth waiting for as well..

Been looking myself, and there are some good deals for 2nd hand X1's. grab a couple, and if you don't like them, sell for the same you bought them for

S2, F1, TP2, Zomo HD1200

http://soundcloud.com/sam-hulley

Tech Guru

Whether the Z4 is coming or not is irrelevant; it's a mixer not a deck controller.

I don't see why they'd update the X1 since it works great as it is, and is not plagued with faults like the S2+S4.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

just like everyone else im waiting for a z4 too... i think a z4 would be a better choice even though you have to use traktor

Makar's right about the X1s. They're primarily Sync controllers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it DOES limit you somewhat. The Contour would be a better option, as you can control 4 decks from a single unit with dedicated deck buttons in the top right (and nothing to stop you adding additional units if you want, too - I personally use a pair of them as I like simultaneous control over 2 decks). The Interface Edition also comes with a 10-out very low-latency soundcard built in which is nice if you ever decide to add other elements to your workflow like Ableton etc.

You've also got more controls on the Contour compared to the X1, although it's a little bigger (about the same depth as the DJM900 and approximately half the width), and you've got much more LED feedback. Hotcues are separate from the transport controls as well, which means you don't have to switch modes to access them.

Tech Guru

Get the S4 and the scratch upgrade kit. Sound card, mixer and Traktor controller all in one.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast