DJ Gig/Set routine/superstition
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default DJ Gig/Set routine/superstition

Hey, jw if you guys have any routines before a gig, or superstitions?

I know its silly but I have a few of my own...

I always restart my comp before a gig, at least an hour before. Windows can sometimes randomly restart and a pop up shows up saying 'restarting for updates' and then your heart drops cause you only have like 15 seconds to react haha.

I also always connect each controller or midi fighter in the same port. Idk why, I just dont like switching them up. Plus i think my Asus has some 2.0 USB and some 3.0 USB and thatalways makes items finnicky.

I make an emergncy playlist on my spotify on my ipad, incase shit happens, I always have that to fall back on.

I get to my gig (in this case its my Saturday, im the resident there on saturdays, been there for almost a year, so this next part needs to be on ur own judgement)... but I get there about an hour early just to have one or two drinks. In this case just beers for me. I dont always recommend drinking, but I find 1 to 2 before I start is a nice way for me to relax a bit. I've been at this spot for a year so I'm comfortable here.

And then from there I just start...

Curious as to what you guys might have..
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

111 views and no responses? are there really that many bedroom DJs.. or am I the only loser who does this kind of stuff.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

yeah I'm resident at my strip club. I always restart the computer my windows computer before a set too.. i do the same with my mac though. I'm super comfortable gigging so I just drink when someone buys me a drink.. for the fun of it ha.

I ALWAYS have a backup device. Don't learn the hard way, people!! Doesn't matter if you have a mix cue'd up no your phone, have SOMETHING as backup
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

i get a beer

Get fast food.
    Used Record Shopper

Dunno if this counts, but I always re-copy my entire library from my PC to my laptop before each gig. I also always take more cables/gear than I need, just in case something with my usual setup goes wrong (ie, one of the channels/inputs on the house mixer/soundboard blows and I have to hook things up differently). I also NEVER trust house equipment, which means I'll always show up with either a full-fledged controller with balanced outputs, or a modular setup with my own mixer. I also take my entire library along on a USB stick just in case something went wrong with the copy procedure and something got corrupted on the way over.

@ OP: set windows to update manually. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Dunno if this counts, but I always re-copy my entire library from my PC to my laptop before each gig. I also always take more cables/gear than I need, just in case something with my usual setup goes wrong (ie, one of the channels/inputs on the house mixer/soundboard blows and I have to hook things up differently). I also NEVER trust house equipment, which means I'll always show up with either a full-fledged controller with balanced outputs, or a modular setup with my own mixer. I also take my entire library along on a USB stick just in case something went wrong with the copy procedure and something got corrupted on the way over.

Hey yea, I guess I labelled the thread incorrectly... Instead of superstitions, I should have said "procedure" or something.. Preparedness nonsense.

Idk, I've always had a bit of an anxiety issue in my life and a lil bit of OCD too so I'm always thinking something can and will go wrong. It's not a bad mentality but sometimes it comes overbearing and I catch myself doubling checking my luggage 2-3 times before I leave the house lol.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    i get a beer
    I clicked on this thread to write exactly what you have written.

Tech Mentor

Let's see... well since I am at a transitional point in my life (finishing university), I move around a lot, and thus play gigs at new venues more than I return to old ones. Before I play a night, I'll introduce myself to security, the bartenders, and any other workers in order to get on people's good side and make connections. Just like you said, turn off computer beforehand, check to see that I have enough RCA and XLR cables to plug into whatever mixer the venue has, and plug the same controllers and boxes into the same ports every time. Oh, and I always setup the same way: X1 on the left, VCI-300 in the center, VFX-1 on the right, and laptop 45 degrees to my right

Oh, and my pre-gig song is Ride of the Valkryies!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast