In ear monitors for clubs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default In ear monitors for clubs?

I've noticed that some of the sound is lost with headphones because of the shape and with earphones you don't need earplugs. However, I'm a bit concerned if the in ear monitors are good for your hearing, especially if you have to use them with quite loud sounds for at least an hour. So, has anyone tried using earphones instead of headphones when DJing?

Tech Guru

Decent in ear monitors block out more sound than most headphones so you can keep the volume even lower.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Laidback Luke uses IEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Laidback Luke uses IEMs.
    They're more common then one would imagine actually.

I use IEMs exclusively and love it. No need to blast the volume, you get better cueing.
    But the isolation is a double edged sword as you don't get a real idea of what's being output, unless you're constantly taking them out(which isn't that great to do with IEMs, I have in one of my ears the whole time when I'm djing and use the other if necessary) or looking at your level meters a lot.

It's a matter of habit.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    They're more common then one would imagine actually.

I use IEMs exclusively and love it. No need to blast the volume, you get better cueing.
    But the isolation is a double edged sword as you don't get a real idea of what's being output, unless you're constantly taking them out(which isn't that great to do with IEMs, I have in one of my ears the whole time when I'm djing and use the other if necessary) or looking at your level meters a lot.

It's a matter of habit.
    I tried IEMs but I disliked taking them in and out. Guess if id have stuck with them it would have been fine

Tech Mentor

Might be a stupid question but do you use them as normal dj-headphones to cue up your tracks etc or additionally instead of booth speakers?
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Split cue.
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    Split cue.
    Oh, thanks, now i know exactly what you are talking about...
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Guru

Well, since club speakers are quite loud anyway, won't the IEMs just reduce the volume? I usually have earplugs on, so I reckon there shouldn't be much difference in the isolation.

Cheers for the replies, I'll definitely try it out at my next gig!

Tech Guru

They'll change what you're hearing.

Think of wearing earplugs when you're at a club, you can actually hear people talk rather than reducing the volume.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast