word of advice

Thread: word of advice

Tech Wizard

Default word of advice

Hello guys!

first of all!
    i just wanted to say that i love this community, the whole thing is great!
    keep up the good work.

ean 4 president!

I have some minor questions about my gear and i need your help or feedback

I have an old laptop with 1.73ghz and 1 gig of ram in , it runs on winxp and has been streamlined, i only have Traktor Scratch Pro running on it(as a shell) with no drop outs and freezes(knock on wood)that seems to be fine.
    As a soundcard i use the old Hercules Dj Console(http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/...aktor-3-le/)it has a 24bit 106 db 96 hz
    and runs with ASIO drivers and get something about 4 ms latency which is great i think??
    on the other side i have my vci-100 with 1.3 firmware and no overlay(im broke at the moment)
    What do you think about this? Is it somehow posible to play with this in a small club or a lounge or something? I would love to have a audio dj 2 but i cant aford it at the moment. and whats with the laptop is it a matter of time when the thing crashes on me or are the requirements just about ok?
    and one more thing

i would use the hercules like a second controller but i didnt manage to assing the buttons and wheels with it?i would love to the jogs for like an loop lenght or efx or something like that, if u have some ideas or some *.tsi for me it would be great!or some kind of a tutorial for me to learn modifing
    (sorry bout my english its kinda rusty)

thanx for the help guys

take care
    Last edited by shomili; 08-28-2009 at 07:27 AM.

hey man, welcome to the forum.

Honestly, your gear seems worth of going to club with (mine was brazillion times worse when i went to club for the first time ).

Small club you say? They should be happy that you aren't one of those plug-in your Ipod DJs XD.

To compare stuff, mine first paid gig was done with borrowed laptop and M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it went fine, so you are like pro to me back then

About the laptop, i'd say good job with streamlining that thing. Just to be shure go test it at home (run 4 decks, turn on key lock, turn on multiple effects and if it still running without sound drops and cracks then you should be very fine with your 2 deck setup.. no worry).
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

i highly doubt your latency is anywhere near 4ms with that setup, even if it states that in your soundcard settings, that is just one part of the total latency.

i think it's important to stress test the machine like was suggested.

and have a backup audio source!

and welcome to the forums.

for that midi question, i think you have to merge or edit the tsi file. should be able to find info by searching for merge AND tsi

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Hey, I have a laptop with very similar specs and I would reccomend you upgrading the ram. I only had 512 mb but I just upgraded it to 2 gigs and now it works so much better.
    And ram is pretty cheap, defiently worth the investment.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Wizard

Default thanx

so ok im gonna try that(4 decks and hardcore effects)
    il get another laptop sometime soon so i wont buy ram now
    how can i check my REAL latency then?

thanx guys

Quote Originally Posted by shomili View Post
    so ok im gonna try that(4 decks and hardcore effects)
    il get another laptop sometime soon so i wont buy ram now
    how can i check my REAL latency then?

thanx guys
    get a stopwatch.

(jk)
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

there is software like DPC Latency Checker.

or the old fashioned way of setting up a microphone to record the amount of time it takes for the sound to play after saying pressing play on your midi controller. you would set up the mic close to the button so you can get the sound of the button pushing and then see how long it takes for the sound to play.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk