Colour tagging playlist's.

Default Colour tagging playlist's.

I need some recommendation's for playlist organisation.

At the moment i organise a playlist within itunes to export to traktor. Within that playlist (usually about 4 hours or so) i spend a while dragging and dropping tunes into 5-10 tune 'blocks' that i can pick a few out of that i like to mix (each tune having different flavours that are still similar to the others within its group, and have corresponding tunes that mix well within the next block of tunes. Each block progressing towards the Bangers near the end of the playlist)

As this DJ'ing lark is as much about the organisation you do beforehand as much as you're actual mixing, im spending almost as much time doing this as i am mixing!

However a wall of text of songs is (to me) confusing sometimes. Is there some software that enables easy colour tagging of tracks? Apart from using stars within Itunes im a bit lost. A mate of mine simply uses file tags on his vinyl record sleeves in a crate going from green at the front all the way through to the back of his crate (which is red if i remember correctly) and this allows him to easily identify a jump up in tempo etc of his next track.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    I need some recommendation's for playlist organisation.

At the moment i organise a playlist within itunes to export to traktor. Within that playlist (usually about 4 hours or so) i spend a while dragging and dropping tunes into 5-10 tune 'blocks' that i can pick a few out of that i like to mix (each tune having different flavours that are still similar to the others within its group, and have corresponding tunes that mix well within the next block of tunes. Each block progressing towards the Bangers near the end of the playlist)

As this DJ'ing lark is as much about the organisation you do beforehand as much as you're actual mixing, im spending almost as much time doing this as i am mixing!

However a wall of text of songs is (to me) confusing sometimes. Is there some software that enables easy colour tagging of tracks? Apart from using stars within Itunes im a bit lost. A mate of mine simply uses file tags on his vinyl record sleeves in a crate going from green at the front all the way through to the back of his crate (which is red if i remember correctly) and this allows him to easily identify a jump up in tempo etc of his next track.
    Ive always felt the organization is the more time consuming. I mean those who use traktor, you are no longer beat matching, the ease of finding a song is much easier... You might spend 1/8th of your time in the club at the decks actually "mixing". (Well of course unless you are the new breed of DJ that cant keep their hands off the EQ, when there is absolutely no reason to be messing with it :P Its the *cool factor* I guess)

Preparation is the key to success!