A-B mixing is not boring. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    A - B IS boring. It is NOT creative, and it is just plain lazy. It is the epitome of "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing".

Don't convince yourself that because you can (almost) beatmatch, and that you understand phrasing, you are a creative being. You are NOT a DJ.

I can programme a perfectly mixed A-B set set in Ableton Live that any club/bar could play over their PA in place of paying a DJ. THAT IS WHY DJ's MUST become more creative - to prove they are still required.

This is truly the worst thread I have ever laid eyes upon. It will get real ugly, real quick, in here.
    If you're doing what you're doing to prove something as opposed to what it sounds like in the end then, in my opinion at least, you're missing the point.

Tech Mentor

What it sounds like in the end? It sounds like 15 tracks mixed together for an hour. Its like Pandora, with rockier transitions :P

If you're doing what you're doing to prove something as opposed to what it sounds like in the end then, in my opinion at least, you're missing the point.
    That's the whole point. Overdoing it (samples/glitches/"plooping"/FX) is just as bad as under-doing it.

A - B mixing IS under-doing it. Playing it TOO safe. Not challenging yourself. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum to over-doing it.

There's a MASSIVE area in the middle of the spectrum where talented, knowledgeable DJ's live and perform. That's where we all should be aiming to be.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I don't think writing is the problem here. READING is. Go back and read what I've written, mate - we're arguing the same point.
    Aaaaah do you mean the video is not the defintion of A-B mixing? Then yes, i'll agree with you there! Whilst he is using fairly basic stuff to achieve an awesome sound, he isnt just mixing left to right.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    I dont care if you have 1000 cue points, go A B A A A B A A B A A, Its still A Bing back and forth to the same track... (they didnt at Ultra.. you hardly see any people do it anymore period anyways) Its still.. one song to the next... ok mashup those cue points and completely destroy the flow I guess thats not boring but it sounds awful.

Reading the crowd I still find to be a friggen hilarious comment. You are telling me, the DJ becomes more entertaining because he plays a track you know? Hes still doing the same boring ass thing. Hes just picking music. THats not a performance.. But again to each their own. Lemmings.. To many Lemmings

I wonder if people forget Traktor has 4 decks.. especially alot of those Tech House DJs.. If you dont do something creative with that Genre I can actually fall asleep next to the sub woofer
    I think if you watch that video of EZ he definitely doesn't kill the flow, despite juggling between 2 different songs. He cue juggles in one song whilst changing a CD into the other and within a couple of bars he's back into a new song on the other deck! He doesn't need 4 decks!

And yes, if a DJ can drop a well known snippet of a classic track in to his mix before going into another and making it sound fresh then it is entertaining.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Seems like a lot of people are missing the point of being a dj. The dj exists to play music to entertain an audience. 99 percent of audiences just want to dance to songs they know, and if you can put those songs together in a way that keeps the energy flowing in the room, you are djing, whether your mix is simple or complex.

Transitioning from one song to another is only as boring as you make it, and feeling the entire crowd's energy surge from a simple A-B transition means more to me than a few other "djs" appreciating how difficult I can make something.

As a DJ it's your job to make love to your audience, not just masturbate in front of them. Have fun, but make sure you do what you need to do to get them off, too!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    Seems like a lot of people are missing the point of being a dj. The dj exists to play music to entertain an audience. 99 percent of audiences just want to dance to songs they know, and if you can put those songs together in a way that keeps the energy flowing in the room, you are djing, whether your mix is simple or complex.

Transitioning from one song to another is only as boring as you make it, and feeling the entire crowd's energy surge from a simple A-B transition means more to me than a few other "djs" appreciating how difficult I can make something.

As a DJ it's your job to make love to your audience, not just masturbate in front of them. Have fun, but make sure you do what you need to do to get them off, too!

No i think alot of us just mock what a DJ is.. and don't understand what the amazing Fad is :"P We all love music so make it.. do your own hard work not profit off of someone elses because you can play the Beatport top 100 :P

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    I think if you watch that video of EZ he definitely doesn't kill the flow, despite juggling between 2 different songs. He cue juggles in one song whilst changing a CD into the other and within a couple of bars he's back into a new song on the other deck! He doesn't need 4 decks!

And yes, if a DJ can drop a well known snippet of a classic track in to his mix before going into another and making it sound fresh then it is entertaining.
    We just have different tastes in Music Dublu.. because i watched the video.. and to me it ruined the flow and the fader work and cue juggling sounded awful to me.. but again its all a matter of taste

How is that EZ boiler room set not A-B mixing?

and mdcdesign, please shutup (re: your post on 1st page)

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    How is that EZ boiler room set not A-B mixing?

and mdcdesign, please shutup (re: your post on 1st page)
    Don't make stupid threads, and then people won't bitch at you. Simples.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast