anyone use trackers? want to try a vst tracker? revisit experiment

Default anyone use trackers? want to try a vst tracker? revisit experiment

So lately i've discovered trackers, really got into renoise: http://www.renoise.com/ a cross-platform (pc, mac, linux) tracker/DAW that so far has worked great on the PC side, and on every distro of linux i've tried it on, ubuntu, linuxmint, crunchbang, pure:dyne, ubuntu netbook remix, and xandros the stock distro for the EEEPC netbook. the demo is fully functional (minus asio, and render to wav/sample), and the program is 49 euros if you decide you like it.

guess i went off topic in my own thread, renoise probably deserves its own, but I think the renoise demo is a great place to start if its your first time using a tracker. load some of the example songs, and learn how pattern editor works. take note of how almost everything can be done with the computers keyboard. for anyone needing a refreshing break from midi and midi programming, here is your nirvana!

On my searches for other tracker alternatives, i found an experiment going on called the revisit experiment: http://www.nashnet.co.uk/experiment/

The reViSiT experiment is a scientific study of creativity and skill in computer music software, conducted by researchers at the Computer Laboratory (Rainbow Group) and Faculty of Music (Centre for Music & Science) at the University of Cambridge.
    Our aim is to investigate and understand how existing software supports (or hinders) flow and creativity, so that we can improve the design of music programs in the future.
    If you take part in the experiment you get a free copy of the pro version called revisit pro, which is a vst tracker, meaning it is a tracker that is run inside your fav DAW as a vst. This effectively removes the current need for trackers who wish to also use a DAW on their music to render to wav first. It also means that once you have your tracker patterns you can use midi in the DAW to sequence the play order of your patterns.

the sign up takes like 10 mins if that.

even if you don't sign up for it or use the program there is an informative read in the documentation of the experiement: http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/rev...umentation.htm

check out the chapter 2:background in particular.

when i started reading their idea of flow, i was like right on, you see examples of a flow in nature everywhere, its often easy to see how flow can be restricted, and when you think about it, this restriction could come in the tools we use to do almost anything, paint a painting, build a doghouse, make a song, etc.

so perhaps the underlying theme, even if you don't end up trying a tracker program or its not your thing, is that there is a flow that is best left unrestricted no matter what the medium.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

well, another happy renoise user over here..actually i am already too addicted to this program, everytime i use it i discover new things.

it´s a great daw, if you´re into tracker.

cheerz.

Tech Wizard

love renoise too !!!
    RENOISE POWA !

cool to see other renoise users, yeah i think that it completely rocks. and that i can use it on nix and windows it such a nice bonus.

given the nature of tracker songs and how everything is saved, it is easy to work on songs on the several different computers i have floating around.