Connecting X1 to External Mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Connecting X1 to External Mixer

I just bought the Traktor X1 and have it setup to my S4 for now at home so I can practice with it. I have been taking my S4 to gigs that had no equipment, but recently I started doing gigs that either had the Rane 57 or the Pioneer DJM900 mixers. So now that I have the X1, I want to bring only that and my Mac to connect to these mixers.

So a few questions...
    1) Do I just connect my X1 to my laptop and then my laptop to the USB on these mixers?
    2) If so, is there a need for me to connect to the Aux In (on the Rane 57) or any of the 4 Lines on the Pioneer 900?
    3) Do I need to download any drivers etc?
    4) Usually I am the starting off DJ, so what needs to happen when the next DJ after me comes on?

Thanks!

there is no way to connect the X1 to any mixer, it goes into the laptop as it's only a midi controller. You meed to connect your laptop some how to the mixer best to connect it through usb if used with DJM 900 but might give problems for the next DJ coming after you. the soundcard on any laptop is not the best option but can be done by connecting a stereo mini jack to phono from the mac headphone jack to one ot the inputs on the mixer.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Mentor

If you want to mix externally on the 900 or 57, you'll have to get a NI sound card to route your audio between the mixer and your computer.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dayvue View Post
    If you want to mix externally on the 900 or 57, you'll have to get a NI sound card to route your audio between the mixer and your computer.
    Nope. Both the DJM 900 and the Rane 57 have built in sound cards. The 900 even has a Scratch Certified one so there is absolutely no need for an NI sound card.

Flipslist, you'll need to install the DJM 900 drivers beforehand which are freely available on the Pioneer website. The Rane 57 also has drivers but I don't use Serato so I'm not sure how you'd get your hands on them.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I assume OP uses trakor since he/she has an S4. So I guess you could just plug into the DJM900 since it is Trakor Scratch certified, whereas the 57 would work natively with SSL then.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Nope. Both the DJM 900 and the Rane 57 have built in sound cards. The 900 even has a Scratch Certified one so there is absolutely no need for an NI sound card.

Flipslist, you'll need to install the DJM 900 drivers beforehand which are freely available on the Pioneer website. The Rane 57 also has drivers but I don't use Serato so I'm not sure how you'd get your hands on them.
    Thanks everyone for the responses - Makar1, that's what I thought about the 900. So question for you...since I am the opening DJ, let's say I download all the 900 drivers etc, connect my X1 to my laptop, connect my laptop to the DJM 900, I should be all set. But then what happens when the next DJ comes on board - how do they take over control. Using the S4, it was easy b/c i plugged into one of the 900's Line Channels, but not sure how this works with a USB.

Don't turn up to a club hoping for the DJM 900 to just work when you plug it in because it won't. Make sure you get the drivers and prepare at home like Makar said.

Here's a video to help...

http://youtu.be/i0cAIdYDZO8?t=3m1s
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flipslist View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses - Makar1, that's what I thought about the 900. So question for you...since I am the opening DJ, let's say I download all the 900 drivers etc, connect my X1 to my laptop, connect my laptop to the DJM 900, I should be all set. But then what happens when the next DJ comes on board - how do they take over control. Using the S4, it was easy b/c i plugged into one of the 900's Line Channels, but not sure how this works with a USB.
    Well if there are CDJs, you guys can put on a cd during the switches between performers. or if the other person isn't using the USB, just have them plug into an open channel
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    Well if there are CDJs, you guys can put on a cd during the switches between performers. or if the other person isn't using the USB, just have them plug into an open channel
    Actually the place I'm talking about has 2 CDJs n 2 Technics all hooked up to the DJM900. I just wanted to make sure that if I used the USB, n the next DJ comes on playing on the turntables, he can easily use the channels and get on without a break in the music.

Tech Convert

check this video out... this is what you need to do.

http://blog.dubspot.com/pioneer-djm-...ew-by-dj-endo/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast