So I want to start a "Student DJ Club" through my college... any thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default So I want to start a "Student DJ Club" through my college... any thoughts?

Hey guys, I wanted to run something by you to see what your thoughts are.
    I came here to get some quick advice about a "DJ club" I want to start at my college. I want to start a DJ club at my college to bring DJ's together. I know a lot of kids whom are passionate about DJing and Music making but they aren't part of a crew or a community and I think it hinders their creativity and networking abilities. I want to start a club to unite these students and hopefully create opportunities for all of us. I am worried that the school wont want to support a student organization that promotes partying amongst students. Not to mention some people associate DJing with other things and whether or not its true, it still has some stereotypes. What are some of the ways I can get around these stereotypes and dilemmas to show them that my student organization will promote learning about music and DJing in a positive light?

Good name for club?
    Unforeseen problems?

Tech Wizard

I started a club at the college I was going to ten years ago. It was a lot of fun. They let us throw concerts at the school and put on the homecoming dance. Be sure to recruit someone that's good at paperwork. There's a lot of paperwork involved but it's really worth it. At our school in think we needed 30 signatures to become a club. We ended up with over 300 on the first day. People are totally down to sign up for something that would bring cool stuff to the school. Throw some benefit shows too and you'd get backed by the community. We did some shows where you could bring in canned food for admission and donated it to the rescue mission. We got some media attention after that and had green lights to do a lot of other stuff. Good luck!
    1200 MK2 (x2), DR202 (x4), DIF 1S, Q49, M49, DGX-500, Launchpad, MPD18, Maschine, nanokontrol, M2, Telecaster, Mixtrack, airFX, Zoom Sampletrak, MC303 (x3)

I did something like this when I was at college, this is going back 2/3 years now. Mine wasn't really a club, it was just on the lunch break I would go into the recording studio when it was free and I would tech a few people how to DJ/Mix and just have a good time. I did in my last year help my college put on a music even for charity.

I personally don't see or think how a 'Club' would work unless it was a small group or you wanted to put on a 'party'. Now going down the 'party/event' side of things is a different story.

As pigeontoad said, yeah you would want to treat it like the real would, college is to get you ready for it, so anything you do make sure you would do the same. If your going to put on a concert then, there is alot of 'other' stuff to think about besides just DJs and the music.

Good luck though, it can turn out to be fun. Just enjoy and make the most of the opportunities.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

We have something like this at our uni. The school even paid for labs and everything too (fully stocked with dj equipment, mpcs, a large vinyl collection, mac books, traktor and what not).

Heres a pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IznremiX; 04-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Wizard

That is so sick.

Tech Mentor

My mail goal is to get DJ's at my college together.
    I know there are kids interested in DJing in my school but they all are in their cliques and Im trying to make one big group of people who are connected so we can all learn from each other.

iznremix- thats probably the coolest school org. Ive ever seen

I know that DSharps has such a group a Penn. It seems like fun!

I am part of "EMMY" which is the Electronic Music Movement at YorkU. We have monthly parties and biweekly meetings, and are often asked to take part in school/other clubs fundraisers.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    We have something like this at our uni. The school even paid for labs and everything too (fully stocked with dj equipment, mpcs, a large vinyl collection, mac books, traktor and what not).

Heres a pic!
    Hey, isn't that the school that my friend DJ Quartz help setup..?

Tech Guru

That's right Karlos how do you know him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast