Best way to beat match and transition from low to high BPM and vice versa - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I really dont understand why there is worry about sync between two tracks with 4bpm difference. Its so small.......... Just sync them, I cant see how it wouldnt sound fine.

I move between 148 bpm to 70 bpm all the time, thats a whole other issue. Turntable FX, Echo Freeze, backspin, let the track run out, etc.

Tech Guru

It's not that sync won't sound good. We're just suggesting that he learns how to manually beat match.

Track A - 130 BPM; Track B - 136 BPM

If Track A is playing, cue B and pitch down B ~4.5% or so.
    If B is playing, cue A and pitch up ~4.8% or so

Tech Mentor

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does using sync or not using sync have to do with going to a track with significantly different bpm? Sounds like people just want to reinforce their idea of what "real" DJs do or don't do, irrespective of the topic at hand.

OP, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. You can jump 5 BPM using whatever method you want... this is why you're a DJ.

- Sneak the pitch adjustment in during a breakdown
    - "Meet in the middle"... if going from 130 to 135 bpm, gradually bring your outgoing track up to 133 and start your incoming track at 133. Then, during or after your transition, slowly bring the BPM up to 135. Or leave it, if you desire.
    - Don't make such a sudden jump. Go to a 132 bpm track next, then a 134, then your 135. This way it's less jarring.

Ultimately it's up to you. Just remember - if it sounds good, it is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Landsnark View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does using sync or not using sync have to do with going to a track with significantly different bpm? Sounds like people just want to reinforce their idea of what "real" DJs do or don't do, irrespective of the topic at hand.

OP, unless I'm misunderstanding, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. You can jump 5 BPM using whatever method you want... this is why you're a DJ.

- Sneak the pitch adjustment in during a breakdown
    - "Meet in the middle"... if going from 130 to 135 bpm, gradually bring your outgoing track up to 133 and start your incoming track at 133. Then, during or after your transition, slowly bring the BPM up to 135. Or leave it, if you desire.
    - Don't make such a sudden jump. Go to a 132 bpm track next, then a 134, then your 135. This way it's less jarring.

Ultimately it's up to you. Just remember - if it sounds good, it is good!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ClrCreekRdr View Post
    I really dont understand why there is worry about sync between two tracks with 4bpm difference. Its so small.......... Just sync them, I cant see how it wouldnt sound fine.

I move between 148 bpm to 70 bpm all the time, thats a whole other issue. Turntable FX, Echo Freeze, backspin, let the track run out, etc.
    seriously? 148 to 70? lol

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    seriously? 148 to 70? lol
    Yep, here is an example: "Locked out of heaven" mixed to "Representin".

Tech Mentor

Also, that's not such a crazy thing anyway when you consider that 70 x 2 = 140... a little pitch-up on deck A and a little pitch-down on deck B and you could do yourself a nice little "half-time" transition.

that's what i was getting at.

i mix 80-82 bpm hip hop with 175 bpm dnb, it's not that hard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234