Best way to beat match and transition from low to high BPM and vice versa
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best way to beat match and transition from low to high BPM and vice versa

So I just started using my DJC4 controller and Traktor Pro software. So the question I have is regarding beat matching and transitioning from one BPM to the next (whether you are going up or down). For example if I start my set with a song at 130 bpm on Deck A and then I want to pick it up and my next rack on Deck B is at 134 bpm I noticed that if I hit the "Sync" button on the controller it will make the bpm of the 2nd to 130. So after I load another track into Deck A again and when I hit sync (even if the bpm on that track is 134) it will go down to 130 bpm again. So song after song I would be stuck at that same bpm.

I guess my question is how do you start to transition from low bpm songs to higher bpm songs when you keep using the sync button and it drops the bpm to the lower bpm? What is the best technique or method to do transitions here to make it smooth and pick up the bpm from song to song?

I was using a software called MixMeister Fusion which you can drop in tracks after each other (at various bpms) and it would automatically keep them in sync when going from like 134 bpm to 138 bpm. They way it worked was it would start to increase the bpm at the tracking that was ending to start matching the new track, but it did it in a way that kept the mix in sync and you did not realize it. I'd like to achieve the same thing now with my controller and Traktor Pro software.

If anyone can give me some pointers that would be great.

just slowly increase the pitch. common sense eh?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    just slowly increase the pitch. common sense eh?
    This x 10973756123987512389751

Just slowly pitch up, key lock makes it so unnoticeable to the average person you can whack a 128 up to 130-131 and they won't know the difference.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    This x 10973756123987512389751

Just slowly pitch up, key lock makes it so unnoticeable to the average person you can whack a 128 up to 130-131 and they won't know the difference.
    I think you missed a decimal point somewhere

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    I think you missed a decimal point somewhere
    Oh yeah! 1.0973756123987512389751

Basically what those guys said. If ur sneaky/good, u can always mix songs inbetween melodies... No drum.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

Also, don't forget the Tim Westwood method, air horns and gunshots.

SHABBA!

EDIT: forgot about this! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/westwood/soundboard.shtml

Well the question really is if track 1 is at 130, track 2 at 134, and track 3 at 136 once I hit the sync button on track 2 it will adjust the bpm to track 1 which will be 130. Then when I bring track 3 in (which is at 136 bpm) and I hit sync on that deck it will sync to track 2 which is at 130 bpm as well from doing a sync.

So if I want to gradually increase the bpm of my set by upping the bpm of each next track I play do I first sync so track 2 at 130 and then once I have the track 2 playing start increasing the pitch level to get it to it's original bpm so that the next song I bring in will at least sync at 134 at first (original is 136 bpm) and then once that is playing I can then increase the pitch on track 3 slowly from 134 to 136. Is that how you guys do it or is there a better way to achieve this?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by joemann002 View Post
    Well the question really is if track 1 is at 130, track 2 at 134, and track 3 at 136 once I hit the sync button on track 2 it will adjust the bpm to track 1 which will be 130. Then when I bring track 3 in (which is at 136 bpm) and I hit sync on that deck it will sync to track 2 which is at 130 bpm as well from doing a sync.

So if I want to gradually increase the bpm of my set by upping the bpm of each next track I play do I first sync so track 2 at 130 and then once I have the track 2 playing start increasing the pitch level to get it to it's original bpm so that the next song I bring in will at least sync at 134 at first (original is 136 bpm) and then once that is playing I can then increase the pitch on track 3 slowly from 134 to 136. Is that how you guys do it or is there a better way to achieve this?
    Yea basically that. Doesnt have to be gradual (a lot of the time it is for me though), depending on the song and where you mix in, there are some times where you can sneak the pitch difference in all at once or most of it, or even right on the transition, depending on where and how your mixing in, you can slam it. Practice, figure out what sounds good, and most of all, dont limit yourself to one method.....try to be creative when you practice, and you'll be much better and versatile.

stay away from the sync button... I like to use tears/fades/clovers for transitions... it really depends on what type of mix you are going for...an occasional air horn always works...lmao... You can also set a loop before you increase or decrease the speed for transition
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast