Anyone here entering DMC online this year? (and some traktor help needed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone here entering DMC online this year? (and some traktor help needed)

Hello guys, is anyone here entering DMC this year... If so, please link your video here. I'd love to watch and vote for you,

I have encountered problem with traktor timecode vinyl when recording my DMC set. I somehow find it very hard to scratch with... It just sounds not very normal like I am constantly dragging the record backward. And it produces some noticeable high-pitch noise while moving the timecode back and forth. I don't know if this is normal for all timecode vinyl user or it's just me. I have optimized my pc (it's quite old now) for DJing so it passes all the latency check and the cpu stays at around 50% when running traktor... never overloads. Any input is greatly appreciated!

And here's my first round routine, done by using kontrol F1 + a MF3D (beaubryte mapping rocks!).

Sorry for the horrible audio quality. If you have any suggestion that helps to improve the audio quality, please let me know and you have my thanks!

Tech Guru

It sounds like your audio is cutting out during the scratches. Although it might just be my untrained scratch ears.

Tech Wizard

That's exactly it! No matter how I tried I got this kinda cutting/wash out things during scratches...
    Could it be the crossfader....? Tho I remember when I scratch with the real vinyl I have no problem of hearing scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by James Chen View Post
    Hello guys, is anyone here entering DMC this year... If so, please link your video here. I'd love to watch and vote for you,

I have encountered problem with traktor timecode vinyl when recording my DMC set. I somehow find it very hard to scratch with... It just sounds not very normal like I am constantly dragging the record backward. And it produces some noticeable high-pitch noise while moving the timecode back and forth. I don't know if this is normal for all timecode vinyl user or it's just me. I have optimized my pc (it's quite old now) for DJing so it passes all the latency check and the cpu stays at around 50% when running traktor... never overloads. Any input is greatly appreciated!

And here's my first round routine, done by using kontrol F1 + a MF3D (beaubryte mapping rocks!).

Sorry for the horrible audio quality. If you have any suggestion that helps to improve the audio quality, please let me know and you have my thanks!
    If you are using the remix decks with Traktor, you will need to crank the latency down. Traktor is actually more CPU lite than one would think, but it is also very memory hungry. If you are using remix decks and recording, you will probably find a lot better results if you turn up your latency by a setting or two.

Tech Wizard

Well... I thought setting the latency as low as possible is crucial for getting the crisp scratch sound. You've mentioned that Traktor is memory hungry. Does that mean it has something to do with Ram?

Tech Guru

A couple things to check as well.........See if you're consistantly getting a clean timecode signal (sounds like you are), absolutely make sure Key Lock is off for scratching, and you mention a high pitch noise, do you think that could possibly be the timecode signal noise leaking thru? I noticed my Multicore cables that my Audio 8 came with would leak timecode signal into my sound.

Not sure how you are recording sound, but my suggestion would be to do it directly thru the 1600. Not sure what you are using to capture video and sound, and if it's any good for sound. If you have the ability to be able to sync up the sound to your video, I would just use the Traktor mix recorder. I think the 1600 has a 4 in and 4 out soundcard, so if it's anything like my 900 you would set the recorder to external and choose a free input (one that doesnt have a CDJ/TT plugged in remix or internal decks dont matter), or if it's not like the 900, you could run a jumper from record out to a free input and select that input in the recorder.

I'm considering entering. I just went in a local dj battle so I could probably use bits from that routine too.

We'll see how time permits.

Tech Wizard

I actually use another laptop (a bit worse than the one I am using for Djing) to record the mix. I have tried to use internal mixer (yeah I believe 1600 works the same as the 900) but it eats up my cpu. I have turned off the Keylock for the scratching part..., but I can't when juggling cuz it's gonna sound bad with the sample I used...

You mentioned about the timecode signal leaking through... how do I check it?
    Thanks so much!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    I'm considering entering. I just went in a local dj battle so I could probably use bits from that routine too.

We'll see how time permits.
    Nice, definitely let me know when you have the video ready. Wanna see how techtools ppl doing in DMC, lol!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by James Chen View Post
    I actually use another laptop (a bit worse than the one I am using for Djing) to record the mix. I have tried to use internal mixer (yeah I believe 1600 works the same as the 900) but it eats up my cpu. I have turned off the Keylock for the scratching part..., but I can't when juggling cuz it's gonna sound bad with the sample I used...

You mentioned about the timecode signal leaking through... how do I check it?
    Thanks so much!
    That sucks. The quality didnt sound awefull at least. As for the timecode signal leaking thru, I would assume you would be able to hear it with the TT's playing and nothing loaded in the deck or maybe if you have a track loaded in a deck and spin back before the waveforms start might be a better test, and the sound should stop when u lift the tonearm obviously.....not convinced that it's that noise that you're talking about, but give it a shot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast